3CX as a VoiceMail solution

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Kerms, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerms

I am looking for some guidance on setting up an ATA and 3CX for use as a VoiceMail system.

I have an existing Mitel SX2000 phone system (UK based) that has 4 analogue extensions configured as feeds into an old Talking Duplex voicemail system. I want to repalce the Talking Duplex box with something new (3CX).

I understand that I will need sme sort of 4 port ATA.

I have installed and configured 3CX and have borrowed a single port ATA (ATA-1100). From an analogue telephone handset plugged into the ATA I can dial into the 3CX system OK but I am unable to dial into the ATA from the PBX - the ATA treats the call as a PBX call, switches modes and just passes the call thru to the analogue handset.

Can anyone advise on a suitable 4 port ATA that will meet my needs please? It will need to be compatible with the UK telephone system.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Grandstream make a good 4 port FXS, however please note that 3CX is not meant to be a voice mail system replacement and this config is unsupported.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Most voice-mail systems attached to an analogue PBX rely on an SMDI data link in addition to the phone lines used for the voice. The SMDI (Standard Message Desk Interface) passes on the info needed to direct the incoming calls (lines) to the correct mailbox on the system, it also recieves messages from the VM Box to activate and de-activated the message waiting indicator (MWI) on the PBX phones. If the voice-mail "box" happens to rely on caller ID then all forwarded calls from an extension to the VM system would have to display (send) the destination extension number and not the original callers number, something to keep in mind. I'm not sure how the MWI would work in this case.

4. Kerms

Sorry for the delay in responding and Thanks for your comments. If we can get the 3CX system working as a Voicemail solution to start with phase two will be to consider swapping out our PABX all together for z full 3CX solution.
    We are also not too worried about the message waiting lamp as we will email the user with the message as an attachment.

I have picked up a LInksys SPA3102-UK Voice Gateway and have been experimenting with it and 3CX. If I connect an extension from the PABX into the PSTN port on the SPA3102 I can get it to answer the inbound call but I'm struggling to get it passed onto the 3CX system.

Any pointers?

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The extension in the 3cx will pick up the call in voice mail, but....you'd have to have as many extensions as you have clients on the original PBX, one for each. Without a data link(the SMDI link) to send the called parties phone number over to the voice mail system it will have no idea of which mailbox to send the call. If the SMDI link goes down on a regular PBX the call will forward to one of the trunks going to the VM system but because it doesn't know what to do with the call you will get something like " you have reached an automated call answer system, please enter the extension number of the party you wish to leave a message for". you could set up the automated attendant on 3cx to do something like that but it requires the caller to know the extension number of the called party.

6. ciscotech2007

Replace your PBX with 3CX entirely and use a FXO gateway to connect all your analog phones. Using 3CX with your PBX as only a voicemail solution will not work well. Of course, on your own time you can always spend 100 hours trying to save 100 bucks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Kerms

OK, looks like I'm going to have to replace our existing PABX....

In order to test out 3CX I can use a spare analogue PSTN line from our Telco - am I able to use the SPA3102 connected to this to deliver inbound calls to 3CX?

I can find lots of post relating to using the SPA3102 as a VoIP gateway in/outbound over the Internet but not much guidance in using it to interface with my existing Telco lines.

Thanks for the guidance provided so far.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In fact the 3102 is one of the recommended interfaces. Don't forget, there are two jacks, one LINE and one PHONE, the LINE or FXO plugs into a phone line from your PSTN, the other (Phone) or FXS is where you plug in a telephone. There are set-up instructions on the 3CX website for it. Have a look at...http: //www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/linksys-3102/ - NO LONGER AVAILABLE
    I've been using one for quit a while with no problems at all. there are a few things that will probably have to be "tweaked" after you get it working. You can use the FXS port as an extension off the PBX as well to do testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.