3cx Assistant and Phone Provisioning URL Always use IP

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by carolinainnovative, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolinainnovative

Is there a way to get the provisioning email to use my 3cx install's HOSTNAME instead? I have the hostname configured instead of the IP just about everywhere it will let me and still, the provisioning URL ALWAYS includes http://ip:port instead of http://hostname:port or just http://hostname.

IDEALLY, I'd prefer to be able to use my dns domain let the 3cx phone or assistant pull the SRV record, find the pbx and then find the provisioning information from there... but not everyone is playing with Direct SIP - so hey - I'm a reasonable guy... - at the very least, I'd like to see it use the hostname in the provisioning template.

I have put the hostname in these places:
    Network -> STUN Server -> Public IP to specify in Contact and SDP (with stun turned off because nat not being done - has valid IP external IP bound to nic)
    Network -> Public IP -> Static Public IP Address

IN ADDITION - Regardless of what I set, in the provisioning file itself - it ALWAYS provides an IP address for the 3cx box on the local address - and I see no way to change that. I would really like to use the HOSTNAME WHEREVER POSSIBLE. IP addresses change. I can setup a hostname like sip.whatever.com and have my box accessible inside and out by the same hostname.

Currently Generated: (with the words pbx.ip.address.here substituted for my IP - since it is a valid public IP on my box)
    Code:
      <PBXLocalAddr>pbx.ip.address.here</PBXLocalAddr>
      <PBXPublicAddr>sip.whatever.com</PBXPublicAddr>
    Thoughts?

2. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Just rewirte the welcome e-mail with the fix expression of your host unter settings, gerneral, mailserver

Welcome to 3CX Phone System for Windows!

Hi,

Welcome to 3CX Phone System!

3CX Phone System is a modern VoIP PBX that will make you more productive.

You can learn more about 3CX here:
    http://www.3cx.com/user-manual/updated link

You have been assigned the following personal extension number "$extNo"
    Your current PIN number is "$pinNo"

You can use your extension number and PIN to access your voice mail.
    In addition you can use them to configure your extension options via the web based 3CX MyPhone Portal at:
    $myphoneIPPort

We also recommend that you install 3CX Assistant, a desktop utility which helps manage calls.
    You can download it here:
    http: //www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXAssistantSetup9.exe - END OF LIFE (no longer available)

After set-up completes, you will be asked for a provisioning URL which will allow 3CX to automatically configure 3CX Assistant and optionally 3CXPhone.
    Copy and paste this URL into 3CX Assistant:
    $tcxProvPath

Be sure to review the online extension user manual located here:
    http://www.3cx.com/user-manual/updated link

It explains in detail how to take full advantage of 3CX!

Regards

The 3CX Team
    3CX Phone System for Windows - developers of software based IP PBX for Windows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. carolinainnovative

I thought about that - and tried that - but I can't get the provisioning file correct. Do you have a list of the macros I can use?

It uses the macro $tcxProvPath which is the entire IP, port and everything else. I can build most of that namely this:

http://sip.whatever.com/management/provisioning/TcxProvFiles/

But how do I get the name of the provisioning file itself?

Also, that doesn't address the second part of my query - namely convincing the provisioning file to include the hostname for both local and public addresses.

Thanks!

Chavous Camp

4. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I agree with you.
    Let me see what i can do on this. Issue would be solved if you can refer to the File it self. Then you can change the Mail to public or local at one go. Something els came to my mind. i will check.
    Thx for the input.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hades

Was this resolved?

I run 3cx on a remotely hosted server and all of my emplyees use it remotely via 3cx tunnel.

I need the welcome email & provisioning system to at the very least use the public IP rather than the local IP.

Is there any way to do this?

6. will

Wondering if there was any traction on this question. I have just run into this issue and it would be great to change the url at a bare minimum from the "internal ip" to the "public ip" and ultimately to a DNS name of your choosing.

Regards,
    WIll

7. ultra1

I am also finding that I have this issue. Is there a resolution? I have been forced to hardcode my domain (sipserver.xxxxxx.com) into my Grandstream provisioning file to ensure it is updating the phones correctly. So now my internal and externals are running different template files. My Auto Provision remote Assistant users have to manually setup their clients. Please advise if there is a method to force certain extensions to use the public ip address or domain name for the Welcome email, Provisioning and the Assistant Auto Provisioning?

8. beaton

For what it is worth...I had this problem and manually editing the provisioning files for each extension on the server seems to work.

I am running V10 RC on 2008 R2 in Hyper-V with IIS as the webserver. The location of the provisioning files:

C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\TcxProvFiles

The value to edit is <ProvLink>...</ProvLink>

One problem with this approach that may be a deal breaker is anytime you make a change to the extension using the management console your changes get replaced with the IP address. I suppose you could build a hash table of all files then scan the location and look for changes if changes are found update the URL and the Hash table.

There may be other negative ramifications that I am not aware of yet...

9. hades

It still doesn't really solve the problem though... the system should have a setting to set which to use since some people like us host our PBX remotely from our offices.

10. gscadmin

Any new updates to this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.