3CX Assistant should not open/close its log file so often

Discussion in 'Windows' started by o.mascia, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. o.mascia

( Regarding file: tcx.assistant.client.exe.log )

It better should keep the log file opened and write to it as needed, or drastically limit the number of lines written to the log file. Users with anti-virus solutions set to scan all files see sometimes hyper-activity in their anti-virus product, all targeted at scanning and rescanning that same file again and again.

It is indeed probable that sometimes 3CX Assistant starts going mad writing very quickly / often to that log file. It may be bug related or even beta related. Though even when things look stable, it opens/writes/closes much more than once a second. This is *the* file ranking the top scans per minute here. Seen on multiple users computers, each run either Kaspersky or NOD32. Excluding files in .log from scan is not accepted. Excluding only that 3CX Assistant file is acceptable but a real pain.

This is not terribly sad, except that users have taken the habit to just stop using 3CX Assistant as soon as their computer starts eating cpu. And as stopping 3CX Assistant magically stops the issue they are having, they learn, quickly and bad habits will be hard to fight later.

Just a suggestion,
    Yours,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Matt

Matt, please ask your colleague to provide you - then please tell me - the VoipPhone version nr and its logfile name and size, also with CPU usage.
    I have a special reason to check this - by default, VoipPhone does not log anything on files (traces on its Debug window are not logged, they are "volatile").

Thanks 8)
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Matt

My mistake - then I extend my question to the Voip Client also :mrgreen:

On the other hand, I want to avoid a confusion here: disk writes are not the same with disk opens. Watch me:
    scenario 1 - open file; write log, write log, write log, close file.
    scenario 2 - open file, write log, close file; open file, write log, close file; open file, write log, close file.

As long as I know, both Voip Client, Voip Phone - ok, let's include also their tunnels - works in "scenario 1" mode, therefore they meet o.mascia's proposal "It better should keep the log file opened and write to it as needed".

Regards
    vali

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.