3CX Assistant with remote extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mase2hot, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mase2hot

Hi,

can you use assistant with a remote extension? If so how can you do it? Do I need to open ports on the router for the PBX?

Thanks

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Yes you can, though i am confused by what you mean using with a remote extension.

do you mean you are at a remote office and want the assistant and a phone there? You can do it and use the tunnel to save the firewall problems etc. If your extension is already connected use the same sip settings in the assistant.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mase2hot

Hi,

we have the PBX in Birmingham and our office in Manchester has 15 extensions which we simply plug into the internet. So we would like to have the assistant software on our pcs here....

Thanks

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

That works

As I assume your extensions are already connected from Manchester to Brum then just plug the same settings in the assistant.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mase2hot

I tried this and it didnt work. I presume I need to open ports for the assistant software?

Thanks

6. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Are you using the Pin number to login with the assistant (not the phone password)

7. mase2hot

I have them set as the same anyway....

So I put in extension number
    Pin password
    IP I put 81.... in both local and publis Ip?

It just says logging in and then stops..

8. abc123

abc123 Active Member

The ip can be the same or different in local and public.

For example i have it on my laptop. I have my internal ip for local (192.xxx) and the public ip for the other (63.xxx) then i use the menu to tell it whether i am local or remote and it switches accordingly.

The pin is the voicemail pin and not the password that the phones use. Make sure you use the voicemail pin. This is so users could change the pin and connect without knowing the phone password as you cannot make a call with the assistant.

9. mase2hot

I have tried it with correct pin and it doesnt connect. Shorley there are some ports I need to forward on the router that the PBX is connected to? As how would the adsl router know to send requests from assistant to the PBX???

Thanks

10. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Are your phones connecting using a tunnel or directly using sip.

The assistant connects the same way.

You can try opening 5060 on the firewall but I suspect it is already open for the phones.

The ADSL router uses NAT and that is how it knows which assistant is connecting to the PBX (using NAT tables).

11. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I just read in another post how your phones go out through a different internet to your computers in this office.

So you need to open the same ports on this adsl router that you have on the other router.

How are you switching through the different ADSL modems on the network? You dont have double NAT set up do you?

12. mase2hot

Hi,

we have 4 broadband connections in total in manchester we have 1 for phones and 1 for data(notmal internet). We also have the same in birmingham. All broadbands have their own router and are totaly seperate. To use the 3CX assistant do the phone and data networks need to be bridged? Currently the Birmingham phone broadband has the correct ports set up as stated in the 3cx Draytek 2820 guide....

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.