3CX Assistant won't log in

Discussion in 'Windows' started by lmathers, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmathers

Hi,

Can someone explain to me why the 3CX Assistant won't log in and constantly times out, when the 3CX Softphone (ver 7), running right beside it on the same machine, does not experience any problems?

Not being able to see the extensions and / or the Assistant not logging in and / or the extensions or call info not updating fast enough (why is this??!), makes the 3CX Assistant a completely useless application and completely devalues the 3CX Softphone.

I'm sure I'll start to annoy 3CX, but until this is fixed, 3CX causes more problems than it's possibly worth - and I'll keep posting on the forum until it's fixed.

If I sound upset, it's because I am. I have to deal with my 25 staff each and every day who experience problems with the phones.

2. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

Hello lmaster

do you have the lastest version ? try without firewall, and anti virus.

regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bertbert

Hi

I am having the exact same problem, i am running it on vista with firewall and antivirus/spyware turned off .. no difference.

the exact same version running on windows server 2003 runs fine ...

any other ideas?

4. lmathers

Hi ehermouet, we are running Windows 2003.

We are running the most recent download of the Assistant from the 3CX website.

You probably won't be surprised to hear that I'm not prepared to turn off our corporate firewall or anti-virus. If I'm required to have those turned off to get the Assistant running, then it shows just how stupid and useless this app is.

What I can't explain and what I need to work out is why the 3CX VoIP Phone (latest version) works and is able to get a connection, but the 3CX Assistant, running right beside it, won't log in.

Any ideas?

5. stevenaj

Hi,

Just to let you know I am experiencing the same on a Windows PC SP3 fully patched - I can connect with the new 3cx softphone (preferred the original one I think) but the Assistant does not connect. I temporarily removed the firewall from our PBX server just to be sure it was not blocking but no change. Mine defaults to port 5486 although my Admin port is 5481 - I changed this too but no difference so I am assuming port 5486 is listening for the 3CX Assistant.

Hopefully this can be cleared up as soon as possible. Pitty the Assistant and the Softphone had not been integrated - not sure what the logic in having two apps are but I am sure there must be a good reason from the developers point of view. Personally I'd have wanted one application with the info from the Assistant included in it.

6. jiranz1

Hi All,

Any suggestions for this issue? I am having exactly the same problem with call assistant as already described above.

7. nupton

I'm also having the same issue. VOIP client works fine, but the assistant wont log in.

8. carltoncl

Agree, something needs to be done about the Assistant, it's buggy and should be fully integrated with the softphone. We rarely have trouble with the softphone but the assistant is a royal pain in the ***.

9. lmathers

C'mon 3CX. What's happening with this? Are you doing something about it?

Here's how bad it's become for us: we've stopped using the 3CX Assistant and printed out pieces of paper with each person's name and extension on it.

It's just stupid!

10. AlecM

All - I had this issue occur a couple of weeks ago after a re-boot of the server (due to a RAM upgrade). I checked the services running states in the 3CX management console and spotted the 3CX Assistant Server was stopped, although all other services were running. Starting the service allowed Call Assistant to connect again.

Firewalls on the client PC should not generally be an issue. Normal firewalls (e.g. Symantec) auto-configure for the VoIP features. Windows Firewall can be manually configured to have an exception for 3CX ports (although I would recommend you get something better on your PC that include A/V and intrusion prevention as well).

Note that there was an older version of a combined VoIP phone and Call Assistant, back at version 3.1 of 3CX (couple of years ago now). I don't know the specific reason why they were split, but I suspect it was due to a combination of factors. My ideas would be:
    - Allows IT to install just what is required, e.g. call assistant without the software phone, etc.
    - Splits the development projects to allow easier code branching without impacting both product features all the time.

Al

11. andy123

Just by removing firewall and antivirus the softphone might get virus from the internet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just had the same problem today.... And can't get it to login.

The assistant had been working for the last month or 2 no problem.

Rebooted server on weekend, since then it won't login. Installed the latest assistant release still no luck.

Therefore i don't believe disabling firewalls \ AV is going to do anything for you. I've checked the assistant server is running and restarted the entire phone system a few times.

3CX???

13. lmathers

Hey network11,

We became so fed up with the 3CX Assistant and the lack of support from 3CX that we have uninstalled it. Unbelivably, we've actually gone back to pieces of paper. On each persons desk is a printout of all of the different extensions, so that people can transfer calls to the correct person, just be reviewing the piece of paper.

Very very disappointed with 3CX generally and their complete lack of support for both the 3CX Phone / Client / Assistant.

We have started a hunt for a new VoIP app and will definitely not be recommending 3CX to anyone.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What setup are you running?

Can you advise of operating system and platform its running on, IIS / Cassini.

If similar to mine I will try and see whats going on and let you know if i have any progress.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi,
    I have just run the upgrade to version 8 beta, and the new version 8 of the assistant.

After that the asistant still would not connect.

Rebooted the server again and its all working again.

I'd suggest you have a look v8 has chat and a load of other features.

One thing to check from your server is if the reports are working? I tried mine earlier and got crystal.reports error I'm running cassini.

Reports and the assistant were both not working, 3CX if you require logs to try and troubleshoot send me a message.
    At this stage reports and the assistant are working again.

16. MrKoen

I'm experiencing the same problem. I have the problem pinpointed down to where it wouldn't work if the client running the 3CX assistant was not able to receive incoming packets from the 3CX server. So it would work if I had a machine on the same subnet as the 3CX server or if I had a machine on a different subnet, though without any port blocks on the router trafficing between the two subnets. Can anybody else confirm this cause to be true? Might help in trying to solve the problem. Is there anyone who can conform that there are incoming connections being made to the 3CX Assistant from the 3CX server towards the client?

17. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

The assistant, due to programing issues, will not transgress different subnets. It will however, transgress some VPN connections and will work with RDP Gateway.

18. DeWild1

I tried it with a VPN.. I have netbios over TCP-IP turned off as well as other protocalls, just TCP-IP.
    Can you please be more spacific? I would hate to turn Client for Microsoft Networks on nor NEBIOS over TCP-IP back on... It makes a VPN slow.

19. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

A real silly question in all of this...
    Are the Services Started? :p

Start > Run > services.msc and find all 3cx services confirm they are started

20. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

I do not have a full understanding of what VPN setups will, and won't support the assistant. I use LTP2 to a VPN concentrator on Smoothwall Professional system and don't seem to have any problems with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.