3CX Bridge and Different Service Packs

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jasonhayes, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

We have two 3CX systems Bridged, can they be on different Service Packs? For example can one be on SP2 and one on SP3? I notice SP3 is out, but can't update both at the same time.

2. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

What I know is that all testing with bridges is done with both ends being on the same version and service pack so upgrading them together is the ideal thing to do.

I think though that it should be OK to temporarily have the one on SP3 and the other on SP2 until you can upgrade the other one as well. I wouldn't leave it like this for too long though as over a period of time it can cause the Web Server processes to cause the CPU to max out at 100% due to small incompatibilities in the Presence Information exchanged between the 2.

Also I wouldn't attempt it at all if the Bridge is via a Tunnel.

3. erik_hub

I tested and did not have any problems using the tunneld bridge between SP2 and SP3. Mind you it was only for limited testing and would not recommend it in production.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Without using the tunnel, a bridge isn't really much different than a trunk registered to a VoIP provider, for basic services. When it boils down to it, you are concerned about how an incoming calls is routed, are outgoing calls being completed over the proper route, and is caller ID displaying properly, which might be affected by features introduced in a service pack. This is all using standard SIP messages so it should not make much difference what's at each end. A number of forum members have successfully used Bridge trunks between 3CX and other make of VoIP PBXs, and the version, or even the make, of the other PBX was not an issue that was raised, as long as it was using SIP. For management "standardisation", it is best practise to upgrade all of the systems you work on to the same version, but is there going to be an issue...maybe, if you use the trunks for more than simple routing of voice calls.

Of course, as Nick mentioned, a lot will depend on what services you use between the two PBXs, like Presence, the more complicated the system, the more chance of problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.