3CX Call Assistant Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Archipelego, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Archipelego

Good morning everyone.
    I am having an issue with the call assistant which may or may not be a problem.
    Whenever I reboot the web proxy server listed in Internet Explorer / LAN settings, the call assistant comes up with a communications error. As soon as the server comes back online then Call Assistant will reconnect to the 3CX server. If I change my Internet Explorer proxy to another server and reboot the original server then I do not lose connection.
    My question is, does the call assistant program in some way reference the server listed in internet explorer, if so is there a reason for this and can it be changed to allow some kind of fault tolerance?
    Kind regards
    Jon
    PS - The 3CX server is not installed on the web proxy server.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is all your traffic routed to the proxy server ?

What is your proxy server anyway? Is it MS ISA?

It could be that all your SIP traffic (the traffic to your VSP) is routed through a proxy server.

Do you have any IP phones that de-register when you bounce the proxy server?

3. Archipelego

Hello and thanks for the reply

1.) Only Internet Traffic passes through the Proxy server, all other traffic passes through a Cisco Gateway

2.) Proxy Server is ISA2000 with Surf Control Web Filter plugin

3.) VSP..what does that stand for? I'm not up on SIP but I do understand IP. Why would it route SIP traffic which is on the local subnet through the Proxy Server?

4.) Can you elaborate on what you mean by "bounce the proxy server"

Extra Info .... If I uncheck the "Use Proxy Server" in IE settings then the call assistant still works.

Thanks again for you help
    Jon

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How this call assistant works, well the guys at 3cx can elaborate on that. I actually do not know how it work as yet.

.)
    VSP stands for Voice Service Provider.

Local subnet and proxy do not directly relate to each other, you can exclude one from the other but that is about it.

I do not know how your ISA is configured but ISA will track all traffic and functions as a proxy. But if you have a complete seperate network that is not registered at ISA than it should not otherwis it will for sure go through ISA.

I was only trying to establish if the 3cx box was on the network that is controled by ISA. YOu mentioned that the call assistant de-registered. For this to do so it needs to have lost the connection to the 3cx box. If the 3cx box is behind the proxy or on the proxy than that might explain the fact that when you bounce the proxy server the Call Assistant de-registers.

Your proxy server is not your ISA?

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Actually the call assistant is a Windows front end with a http backend. In fact we are working on a fully web based version of it.

In any case, if you reboot your proxy server this will effect Call Assistant temporarily.

6. BendyMetal

proxy issues

If you choose not to proxy traffic for internal network addresses and every computer has a direct route to the 3cx system, you should be fine. I have just had the same issue with a squid based proxy on our internal network.