3cx caller ID area code auto masking

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cthulhurlyeh, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cthulhurlyeh

Hi all,

I was wondering how easy it would be or not to have some kind of API plugin that would automatically mask each outbound call with whatever local area code 3cx is dialing + a random 7 digit number. Does anyone have any kind of experience with this? It is very easy to do this manually but an automated solution is what I am seeking. Any pointers for where to start would be greatly appreciated.

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Are you asking 3cx to modify the outbound CID to something Random?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cthulhurlyeh

Not 100% random, Area code to be the same as destination area code, then a random 7 digit number following the area code. For instance, I call 560-555-5555, and the plugin will change my caller ID to 560-xxx-xxxx and if i call 430-555-5555 it will have my caller id 430-xxx-xxxx.

4. craigreilly

Not sure if you are in the US or not - but assume you are based on 10 digit dialing. Perhaps you have no intention to defraud or cause harm - but it is a fine line with the FCC. I don't see 3cx adding this - But feel free to add it to the Ideas forum.

FCC rules on caller ID spoofing

Under the Truth in Caller ID Act, FCC rules:

-Prohibit any person or entity from transmitting misleading or inaccurate caller ID information with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value.
    -Subject violators to a penalty of up to $10,000 for each violation of the rules.
    -Exempt authorized activities by law enforcement agencies and situations where courts have authorized caller ID manipulation to occur.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cthulhurlyeh

I am in the US, and the purpose would be to get a small edge in a sales office for our customers to pick up the phone. Like maybe if they see a 'local' number calling they may pick it up is my line of thinking. This would be illegal?

6. gschwab

gschwab New Member

I can't answer to the "legality" of such a plan BUT my personal opinion is that it is a terrible idea. We get lots of cold calls from companies spoofing their caller ID, so many that we now do a reverse lookup or call back the number on many of them, if it's fake they go on our hate list. Honestly if I were poisoned and you called selling the antidote with a fake caller ID I would hang up and croak before buying from you. Nothing personal against YOU mind you it just reeks of a shady business practice.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that some SIP trunk providers can supply you with DID"s with area codes and local prefix of your choice?

7. cthulhurlyeh

Legalities aside, (this falls under non-harmful spoofing which is legal) anyone have any technical advice that can help accomplish this?

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've seen recently that "marketing" callers are spoofing their caller ID with an area code and prefix that matches my phone number in an effort to get me to answer the phone (thinking it is a neighbour calling). I just disconnect the calls now.

There have been a number of users, in the past, trying to change the outgoing number based on what area code they are dialling. I don't recall that have been any solutions put forward up to this point.

9. craigreilly

I have asked before about this for 911 purposes. So, any call to 911 would have my primary DID instead of the persons DID.
    But I do not think it can be done right now...

10. craigreilly

But how could you manipulate that for each outbound phone call?

11. gschwab

gschwab New Member

That I don't know, I think it might be useful for someone with multiple locations but other than that?

12. jasit

jasit New Member

Just a FYI, companies that use random local numbers like that are low life companies I don't deal with. There has been multiple occasions where I have gotten calls on my cell, and the person says "you just called me?" and are surprised when I said nope, apparently my number has been used again for phone spam.

I am hoping that some day there will be a way to verify the validity of the caller id kinda like ssl certs but for phone numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.