3cx client doesn't display when screen size set to 150%

Discussion in 'Windows' started by gavpop, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gavpop

Running Windows 10 64 bit.

This PC is a meeting room and so is accessed by lots of users.
    When logging in, Windows detects it's outputting to a TV (as opposed to monitor) and so automatically sets the screen display size to 150%.
    RIGHT CLICK DESKTOP - DISPLAY SETTINGS - CUSTOMIZE YOUR DISPLAY confirms this.
    This causes the 3cx client to not display. I can see it's running, it just refuses to display.
    The curious thing is I can alter the slider to 100% and then back to 150% and it then displays.
    It's as though the client can't handle this initial display of 150%.

I suspect this is a bug in the 3cx client?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

When you say "TV" , do you mean HDMI, or some sort of USB adapter? Is this an HD TV? (720 or 1080?)I usually find, that connecting any TV via HDMI, and setting to "duplicate" the screen, there are usually no issues. In that case it is simply seen as a (large) monitor. What resolution is the screen of the PC set to?

3. gavpop

By TV, I mean a 55" TV connected via HDMI.
    The resolution is 1080p.
    There are no other displays - ie, the computer is connected to this TV and nothing else.

From what I can tell, Windows 10 detects it's connected to a large screen TV and so makes an assumption that you're probably sat far away from it and so performs scaling of the display to increase icon and font size. In my case, to 150%.
    I have no objection to this because it actually makes sense in this meeting room environment.

The only problem is the 3CX client doesn't like this. Even though it's running, it simply doesn't display. The only way to get it to display is to adjust the display scaling down, to say 125%. But then, bizarrely, scaling it back up to 150%, it happily carries on displaying. So it's not that the 3CX client doesn't like being displayed at 150%, it's more a case of it can't handle starting up at that scale.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I have a computer (desktop) connected to a large TV as well (not using 3CX), and I found that the best display was achieved using a VGA connector rather than HDMI. Even so I still get some black bars at the edge. My take on it is that the (large) TV is not really designed to be a monitor and whatever information sent back on the HDMI cable isn't much help. I have had much better success using 22 to 24 inch (1080) TV's as a monitor. It would seem that there is an expectation that they will be this way, and seem better to adapt.

Have you had a chance to try the same scenario on a different make television, or on a different PC connected to the TV? It seems that at 100%, there is no issue, it's a matter of getting the TV to start in the "proper" resolution.

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Large monitors are just that... It is only a "TV" if it has a TUNER and most no longer do.
    So the fact that it is a 55" monitor using HDMI should have no affect. We do this with a dozen monitors on a daily basis for our clients.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Zac

Zac

Same problem here. The issue must be with the scaling. Mine is on my Surface Pro 2017 where the default scaling is 200%. I set mine to 225% however... but you're right, after switching down to 100% scaling, it shows, then popping back to 225% it stays there. Must be a bug. 3CX, please fix!!

7. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

We are currently looking into this and hope to have some fix for it soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Luis Santos

i currently have two screen and a laptop, thus the laptop being at 150%,

Wath worked with me is having the switchboard and the client on the smaller screen and it shall fix its size, however having the switchboard on a bigger screen and the softphone on a smaller on makes the softphone appear as 100% instead of 150%.

Kind Regards,
    ~luis santos

9. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

We've managed to reproduce the issue.
    We'll be looking into a fix, hopefully the next version of the 3CX Client will have a fix for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.