Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

3CX client on Android V12 - Presence info

Discussion in 'Android' started by Grooverider, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grooverider

I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on this issue??

I have the 3CX V12 on test and have it working perfectly on my windows based clients in and out of the office. The tunnel connects fine using FQDN's rather than IP addresses which is great.

The problem that I have is that when connecting outside the office on my test android device it does not connect the presence information. Now I know the presence info is working correctly on port 5000 as my laptop connected over the same external WIFI connection shows presence information in the 3CX softphone.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening? I can't find anywhere to tweak settigns for the presence info in the Android client. Could it be that I am using FQDN's rather than IP addresses to connect to my 3CX server?

Regards

Gareth

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I just began "playing around" with the Android Version 12 as well. and had the same problem when registered remotely. It was failing for me because I hadn't forwarded port 5000 in my router (thanks Nicky). After that, with all other settings, on the Android client left at , default, it works just fine. I had it up all day yesterday, for the first long test, over 4G, and it remained registered the entire time.

Were you using the same network configuration with previous version of the Android Client and PBX? Was it working? If it was then I don't suspect that is causing the problem.

I use DynDNS with the PBX and have never found issues as long as the URL is put into the Domain Name of the PBX. If you don't do this then call will be rejected.

3. Grooverider

I have both port 5000 and 5001 open and pointed at my server. The weird thing is that the presence info works fine for my 3cx softphone on my laptop. just seems to be an issue for the android mobile. I don't know if there is a setting anywhere for allowing the use of presence info while tunnelled for mobile clients??

I only have access to the one android phone for testing so I have nothing to compare it to. Does the presence info use android push technology at all? Could it be something to do with that?

It is strange that it works fine over wifi (same network) and that my laptop works fine over external connection but the android phone won't

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Actually, using the tunnel option is something I have not yet tested when using version 12. I'll be doing that today. I tend to only "reserve" the use of the tunnel as a "last resort" option, when using a hotspot that won't connect otherwise.

Do you have any luck when the Tunnel option is turned off?

I assume that you have tried this a various, remote, locations to eliminate the originating router as the problem.

As far as options on the phone App, As I said, other than the extension/server settings, everything was left as default. I did however change the local SIP port to something that would be less likely to conflict with an existing port on a hotspot router.

5. pauljm

I am testing the free version (12) for a possible client & was having the same problem with Android phones not showing presence when Out of Office. Opened up ports 5000 & 5001 on my router & all now OK.
    I had assumed that the tunnel connection would have taken care of all that!
    Many thanks for posting the tip.
    Also found that external connection works fine using FQDN using a hosted DNS service (No-IP) rather than fixed IP address as the manual specifies.
    I now have a great little domestic IPPABX. All works well using Skype & VoIPDiscount services as SIP providers, about to order an analogue(FXO) - SIP gateway to connect my telephone line.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As others have discovered, unfortunately, the presence information, is not carried over the 3CX Tunnel (so far).

7. Tempus.IT

Were you able to test presence + tunneling? I'm running into the same issue, but I *don't* yet have 5000/1 port forwarded. Just wondering if you got it working before I request another firewall change.

8. Tempus.IT

Wow, must be Friday...I didn't even register that the date on the previous post was 2014 and not 2015. :oops:

Carry on...

9. pyaramosam

I am testing the free version (12) for a possible client & was having the same problem with Android phones not showing presence when Out of Office. Opened up ports 5000 & 5001 on my router & all now OK.
    I had assumed that the tunnel connection would have taken care of all that!???

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Many of us had the same assumption. Hopefully, they can make it work that way in a future release. I hate opening up additional ports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.