3CX Client won't install:

Discussion in 'Windows' started by rshores, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rshores

Windows 7, 32 bit. Fresh install of Windows. First made me download .Net, so I did.

Now when I launch the installer, it starts up, then tries to download "prerequisite software" (whatever that is, I can't find any documentation on it), then rolls back and I get the message "3CX software installation ended prematurely because of an error. No changes have been made to your system."

Does anybody have any idea what it's missing, or where I can find a log? It doesn't kick anything in the event log, doesn't create a 3CX directory... I'm stumped.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Being a new install of Win 7, have you applied all of the Windows updates?

3. rshores

All required updates had been installed. Doing optional ones now. Will let you know.

4. rshores

All optional updates have been installed, still won't install.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Which version of Windows 7 are you using? Some are not supported, such as, Windows 7 Starter Edition/home/premium Edition.

Here is the complete list.

http://www.3cx.com/docs/supported-operating-systems/

6. rshores

It's got Windows 7 Professional (x86), Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I haven't come across an issue such as yours, in the past, with either Version 8,9,10 or 11 on Win XP, or Version 12 on Win 7 Pro. I have to assume that there is ...

Possible missing/incompatible software, or hardware, on your particular machine.

Corruption in a file (did you download another copy of the PBX software just in case?)

Perhaps something to do with Admin rights on the machine?

Did you do Error Checking on the harddrive?

8. rshores

Thanks for your help thus far!

All that's been installed on here is Windows and updates. This was a fresh install of Windows.

My initial efforts were with a freshly downloaded copy, and I got the same error message. After banging my head on it for a while, I tried the downloaded version (from the link in the welcome email that was sent to her). Same results, even though the file sizes are different.

The PC hadn't been joined to a domain yet... was still on the bench, logged in as local admin.

I didn't do error checking. When I reinstalled Windows, I blew away the existing partition and created a new one. I hadn't considered that, as I suspected that if this was an issue, it would have manifested in additional ways.

As an aside, this install came about because of issues with security on the PC in the first place; I tried to do an install of the software and got errors when it tried to create firewall rules. Turns out that permissions were blown up, and as either domain admin or local admin, I was unable to get into Windows Firewall. I backed up her data and reinstalled Windows... to run into this issue.

I do have a couple of machines at this site that I've been successful getting the client installed on, so I'm not as frustrated as I could be but....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.