3CX Cloud 12, Yealink T46g, and Intermittent Audio Loss

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by millennium2, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. millennium2

We setup the following environment

3CX Cloud 12 - with Service Pack 5- 35528.640

Remote Phones/Extensions: Yealink T46g
    Firmware Version 28.71.0.176
    Hardware Version 28.2.0.128.0.0.0

Internet at Remote Extensions: Time Warner Cable Wideband, 35 down/5 up

We setup remote tenants with 3CX 12 Cloud edition, with Yealink T46g as remote extensions/phones.

TENANT 1 (an office) has reported no issues with audio quality and loves the system.

TENANT 2 (a restaurant) has reported random audio loss during phone calls.

We check the Jitter Buffer settings, and they were set to the following

Type: Adaptive
    Min Delay: 0
    Max Delay: 300
    Normal: 123

I found a forum thread, where it explained to edit the Jitter Buffer settings, so we set it to the following:
    http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/338457-yealink-phones-having-delayed-audio-transmission-on-answer

Type: Fixed
    Min Delay: 120
    Max Delay: 120
    Normal: 120

This improved audio loss a great deal, but still, there have been complaints about a intermittent audio loss for a few seconds during conversations which has caused them problems.

I am puzzeled as to why Tenant 2 is having problems, when Tenant 1 is not.

FYI, we have a Sonicwall at Tenant 2, and have enabled bandwidth management to give the phones the highest priority from LAN to WAN. Not sure what else to do.

Are there any further settings we should look for to troubleshoot? Help!

2. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

Get rid of the Sonicwall... :)

Being dead serious here. You may get some objections, but if you throw something else in that fixes the problem, they probably won't complain.

Sonicwalls walls are notorious for causing issues with VoIP, and at the partner trainings, someone would mention having problems with Sonicwalls and how to fix it, and Kevin's answer would always be to replace it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I've had great success with Sonicwalls and 3cx...
    How are your ping times to the server?
    How reliable is the VoIP provider?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. millennium2

Yeah, the Sonicwall needs to stay put as it controls a bunch of other devices on Tenant 2's network (where the remote phones are located). Also, practically all our other network installations use Sonicwall, so we definitely need to get this figured out.

So the 3CX Cloud is located behind a Sonicwall, and at Tenant 2's remote site, there is also another Sonicwall functioning on the router. Hopefully we will be there later today to run a ping test.

Was there anything on the Sonicwall at the remote site you did special to get no audio loss calls? Are you using the G729 codec?

5. millennium2

FYI, ping tests from the remote site back to the 3CX Cloud server reported at 26ms to 30ms.

I just set the codec under VOIP Providers (NexVortex) to G729, then GSM-FR, and removed everything else.

I ran a few test calls and there appeared to be no audio loss. Will see later today as the client uses the remote phones.

In the meantime, any further thoughts and insights from anyone is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6. netelligence

My sonicwall experience in the past has been horrible. I fought with voice quality for weeks before I threw the sonicwall away and put in a different firewall. Never had problems since. That was a few years ago on V11.

However, since you can't do that....... are you using the Session Border Controller? So far, I've been pretty impressed with it.

Thanks,
    Netelligence

7. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

My sonic wall was removed from service due to a hardware failure - and replaced with a Routerboard. So, I can't give you any details on that unfortunately.
    The internet is the internet and call quality will occasionally be plagued. I have bad days occasionally and blame them on sun spots... :)

8. bardissi

bardissi Member

We have hundreds of Sonicwalls out there and we have had nothing but success.

We have 10 Cloud servers running right now (combo of v11 and v12) all behind sonicwall.

9. millennium2

I'm not talking about Cloud Servers behind Sonicwall, I'm talking about remote extensions (i.e. phones) at a remote location behind Sonicwall. Even with using an SBC controller, there are constant audio drop outs and stutter. I think the fella here at this forum accurately identified the issue with Sonicwall:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/274400-sonicwall-replacement-reccomendation?page=1

3CX tech support is still reviewing my wire captures, but I'm not putting any faith in them finding a solution given the well known banter about Sonicwall. I, for one, am a Sonicwall fan and have sought to implement them where budget allows. But they've always slipped in VOIP traffic, and it really sticks out like a sore thumb.

10. millennium2

I'm not talking about Cloud Servers behind Sonicwall, I'm talking about remote extensions (i.e. phones) at a remote location behind Sonicwall. Even with using an SBC controller, there are constant audio drop outs and stutter. I think the fella here at this forum accurately identified the issue with Sonicwall:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/274400-sonicwall-replacement-reccomendation?page=1

3CX tech support is still reviewing my wire captures, but I'm not putting any faith in them finding a solution given the well known banter about Sonicwall. I, for one, am a Sonicwall fan and have sought to implement them where budget allows. But they've always slipped in VOIP traffic, and it really sticks out like a sore thumb.

11. bardissi

bardissi Member

We also have several locations with phones behind sonicwalls.

Are you sure you are on a current firmware?

12. millennium2

We were using SonicOS Enhanced 5.9.0.3-117o, and now just upgraded to 5.9.0.4-127o. Router model is a TZ205w. Do you have any special Rules on your FIrewall to the remote extensions/phones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.