3cx crashes on every call (incoming or outgoing)

Discussion in 'Android' started by DManzaluni, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DManzaluni

Tried posting this in response to an earlier similar posting on Fri Mar 02 but either no one responded or this is an inherent problem with this software: People seem to have been having this problem for over a year?

The error message on every call is the usual "Sorry The application 3CXPhone (process com.tcx.sip.ui) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again". I then get two options: Force Close or Report.

I am having this exact same problem with a new G2 running 2.3.4 and software downloaded now. 3CX crashes on every (both incoming and outgoing) call.

I was trying to trouble shoot it yesterday with the VoIP provider and on one call, I could hear a slightly low volume very bassy sound but he couldnt hear me at all and the app crashes almost immediately on connection. On incoming calls, the green button wont work, though the red hang up button does (even without my being able to answer the call!)

I do understand that there is no tech support for 3cx: If it does this and no other user knows how to correct it and the company monitors this sort of catastrophic problem, does this mean that people have to stop using this software? (There are over 450 views for this no-response problem, which sorta indicates to me that there is a problem here!!)

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well that one post was in June of last year, and the person never did post again (ever), so the new version (at the time) may have fixed their issue

In the case of your phone...you have to realize there are so many different Android handsets that it is very possible that not only is there another application or hardware/operating system version, that causes a conflict, it could be something put there by your provider, and not present on the same model sold elsewhere. Many providers offer a "customized" version of common handsets. They can specify what will work and what won't, when they order them from the manufacturer.

It is conceivable that the current 3CX phone will just not work with your handset.

That might be correctable, in a future version if the issue shows up on a number of sets, and specifically. ones that the group writing the software, have access to, for testing.

If I were in your position, I would try shutting down as many other running applications, on the phone, in an attempt to isolate a conflicting programme.

Other than that, you may have to settle for another SIP application while waiting to try the next release.

3. DManzaluni

Thank you for this response. Yes, that sort of makes sense, that no android application can work with every phone put out by every provider out there. This was always the problem with Windows, that there are so many computers out there, so many BIOSes and so many customisable OEM OSs that no program can work with all of them. Also why Macs work so much better: There is usually only one set of computers and one OS.

This is a bog standard T-Mobile G2. The G1 was the first of the present generation of smart phones out there and the G2 is one of the more popular ones and development of OSs & apps in HTC phones has been going on since Windows Mobile 2003. Possibly one might have thought that an app developer would have thought of a phone like this when designing their app. I must confess it hadnt occurred to me that no one would have come across such a catastrophic problem or know what causes it!

Curiously I have already gone through this application-changing process with sipdroid, another free app which wasnt designed for the G2 either and with tech support where the problems arent of concern to the developer for an obvious problem; but where the support is run by a user forum where (with Sipdroid) there arent any users with any knowledge of the application and where no one responds to problems. Incoming sound wouldnt work with Sipdroid: Outgoing sound doesnt work with 3CX and it crashes on every call so changing the app was actually a retrograde step. I wonder what to try next!

4. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Dear DManzaluni,

3CX only can afford to give user direct support when the enduser, in this case you, have an product from us which is payed plus a support contract. The only payed app we have is our own PBX solution starting from 395€ for a Mini Version and all our "soft clients" we give away for free due to we do not thing this would be the right way to make them payed as well.

Out of this view, you can use our phone as well, for free, but we have to limit our support to you in this case which is more then fair and we have an excellent support in the forum. As already 100% correct answered by leejor we can not buy 100 android phones a week to test on all platforms, brands and version and have to limit it to a smaller base.

The G2 was a model we have skipped, you are right due to it was only sold in German with a re-branded android version. The nexus 2 (the correct name of the g2) works to my knowledge as the g1 (nexus 1 or google phone) as well.
    To my knowledge, the "com.tcx.sip.ui" is a rendering issue of the application (ui = User Interface) performed by the phone it self.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DManzaluni

Thanks for that Stefan. You are of course absolutely right and I didnt expect peroonal support for a free phone. In this case, I just thought that someone might recognise the symptoms (as it had been commented on before here) and know how to cure them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.