3cx Debian not publishing the web configuration app via IPv4 only via ipv6

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by icns01, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icns01

After completing a 3cx ISO Debian installation as directed in the 3cx home page and Debian installation manual.
    Installation parameters are as follows:
    dell pe 1950 server with hardware raid 1
    3cx installed on a vm with 4gb ram and 700gb hdd (see pics for more details)
    Notes:
    1)1st thing is that 3cx doesnt automatically boot as shown in installation video. You have to log in as root and run the app get and other scripts as detailed in the manual before you get the welcome to the 3cx config tool with the 3cx logo
    after selecting 1(1) using a web browser. attempts to browse to the 3cx on port 5015 fail. Qn running netstat -an you see that the 3cx is only publishing the web browser i port 5015 using ipv6 not ipv4.

At this point I am unsure if the problem is in Debian Linux OS itself or in 3CX.

Any ideas?

ICNS01

2. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Thank you for the information you provided.
    I think this is an OS thing and you should investigate at that level. We do not set explicit IPv6 binding. Actually we just released IPv6 binding in the cmd tool recently.

IPv4 binding will always happen. And it will happen first.

We will check this part..
    1)1st thing is that 3cx doesnt automatically boot as shown in installation video. You have to log in as root and run the app get and other scripts as detailed in the manual before you get the welcome to the 3cx config tool with the 3cx logo​
    It should work as per documentation. The iso uses a preceed file which it gets online. Everything for everyone is in the preceed file. But we will check in case there is a rights issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. icns01

Nicybrg,

Based on your response I disabled the ipv6 protocol based on instructions from a Techrepublic article:

Here's how to disable the protocol on a Debian-based machine.

1. Open a terminal window.
    2. Issue the command sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
    3. Add the following at the bottom of the file:
    net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
    net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
    net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

4. Save and close the file.
    5. Reboot the machine.

after rebooting and running the 3cx webconfig tool, I am getting the same results ie the webconfig tool is still publishing only using ipv6.

Are you certain this behaviour is not somehow influenced by the 3cx webconfig tool itself or perhaps something inthe script which the wizard runs?

Really at a loss here..

ICNS01

4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi - Actually I double checked. In linux we just tell the OS "Listen on this port".
    Internally linux selects IPV6 and also on IPv4 and makes a mapping since IPv4 address Lives / coincides within the IPv6 address space. So technically you should access 5015 on the ipv6 interface and also on the ipv4 interface. Can you revert your changes and check again? Or just spin a new iso to make sure you dont leave any modifications behind?

In the meantime we are going to check your initial comment where the setup is not as per documentation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. smario

smario Support Team

Hello,

As per Nicky's recommendation, spinning up a new ISO would be a good idea. The results you have received from the installation are not at all in line with the expected result of your setup. As such I am advising that you follow our Debian for 3CX Installation procedure here during your next setup.

#5 smario, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  6. icns01

Niybrg and Smario, we will follow your advice and spin up a new ISO. This will be our 3rd or 4th run but it is becoming critical that we get this working for a number of reasons, chief among them needing to have a working demo for showcasing to prospects.

However it appears that the 3cx Debian ISO is highly automated in an effort to simplify the installation process. While this may be good for most situations, I would like to humbly suggest that there are times when installers should be given a bit more insight as what actually happens during the installation process. Perhaps the installation parameters should be published at the end of the https://www.3cx.com/docs/installing-iso-debian/ page as a jobaid. It would be useful for example to know exactly what installation parameters the 3cx iso runs with.

The problematic nature of my installation led me to research what logs are available for the installation and this led to some interesting insight from the Debian website:

https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/i386/ch05s03.html.en#installer-args

for example it says:

1) "If you add priority=medium as boot parameter, you will be shown the installation menu and gain more control over the installation." What priority does 3cxiso run under?
    2)"BOOT_DEBUG=3 -
    Shells are run at various points in the boot process to allow detailed debugging. Exit the shell to continue the boot.".
    Could be very useful now.

3")noshell - Prevents the installer from offering interactive shells on tty2 and tty3. Useful for unattended installations where physical security is limited".
    We should have the option of disabling this. Right now I would like shell access to see what is happening in the background.

perhaps most relevant to the current problem at hand is this one:

4)"netcfg/disable_autoconfig

By default, the debian-installer automatically probes for network configuration via IPv6 autoconfiguration and DHCP. If the probe succeeds, you won't have a chance to review and change the obtained settings. You can get to the manual network setup only in case the automatic configuration fails.

If you have an IPv6 router or a DHCP server on your local network, but want to avoid them because e.g. they give wrong answers, you can use the parameter netcfg/disable_autoconfig=true to prevent any automatic configuration of the network (neither v4 nor v6) and to enter the information manually".
    - I would very much like this capability at the moment.

So besides spinning up a new ISO, I would appreciate it if you could shed some light on the parameters 3cxiso uses at installation and how perhaps in special cases we can change those.

Thanks much guys, your assistance is much appreciated.

ICNS01

7. smario

smario Support Team

Can you please confirm for me that the exact ISO you are using is:
    http://downloads.3cx.com/downloads/3cxpbxiso/debian-8.6.0-amd64-netinst-3cx.iso.

You also mentioned pictures attached but I can't see any attached to the post. Could you please post so that you can help us determine what might be wrong in your installation procedure.

Other than specific instructions on how to deliver 3CX installed on a Debian machine, the Debian installer is basically stock. We do automate certain steps of the installation, but you specifically mention the network configuration part - When this fails or during auto-detection (v6 and DHCP) - (also true for stock Debian installations), you can press Esc and it will allow you to configure the network the way you want to. What your configure for your network at this step of the installation process will be used for the network configuration of the system once installed.

We run the installer with high priority. This just means we show critical and high messages during the installation and ignore low and medium priority messages - fairly common practice. If there is a problem and the installer encounters an error, the priority is automatically adjusted and as such you will not lose any messages indicating failure of installation. We don't disable any diagnostic capabilities of Debian e.g shells for example.

Please confirm the ISO you are using as per above. Also post the pictures to help us see where you are at in the procedure and where you are having problems.

8. icns01

Smario,

I tried to post pics but they were taken from my phone and were too large. will have to take screenshots and send them after i do the next installation.

I was able to navigate to the var/log/installer directory and tail -600 lines of the syslog file. ..very interesting. I need to figure out how to get this file from the vm so I can attach it. I suspect that may be much more useful. However, it is 5:31am atm and I have been up all night. Gotta catch a few Zzzs before work in a few hours. Will resume then.

Thanks much as usual. Despite the problems, it is encouraging to see that 3CX support is behind us in trying to get the problem resolved.

ICNS01

9. smario

smario Support Team

For us to be able to determine what the problem is here, it's important that you provide information that will help us. This will also save you a lot of potentially unnecessary time tailing log files that might not even drive you in the direction to a solution.

#9 smario, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  10. icns01

Ok SMario, we will fully comply with your request. I will have another member of our team get the info you request and post in a reply to this thread.

Thanks again.

ICNS01

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.