3CX Deployment Examples

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pearsondan99, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pearsondan99

Guys,

It seems (including myself as a 3CX "newbie") that based on a number of posts there would be value (perhaps) in posting examples of sucessfull 3CX deployments, this could include;

- Physical architecture blueprints - including 3cx server, firewall, VoiP gateway & VoiP phone schematics/wiring
    - Logical architecture blueprints - extensions (internal/external) ring groups, digital assistant etc
    - Know issues/recommended kit

I m thinking if people upload these documents/information as a reference libary for newbies as start points, when designing from scratch.

I know as technologists there is an adversion to documentation, but I m thinking this could save newcommers a lot of time and frustration, and improve the overall experience of the product (got to be a good thing right?)

I m happy to kick this off, but would appriciate thoughts on this

D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

How do you think us partners are supposed to make our money here? :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. landfiets

landfiets New Member

With some versions of Asterisk you get pre-installed extensions just to test and see how they do it.
    Maybe a good idea for 3CX. And further on the reply of this question. I think it is normal that you have a good manual about how the software works. i love the manual for version 5, but I really understand that people want a clear blueprint for maybe a certain kind of extensions, to see how others do it. I think with every tool you buy you find a manual which is clear otherwise it doens't sell because it getst bad critics in magazines. So it would be good to just have a small simple configuration for people who start. Like a demo version. I think that's helpfull for customers and would bind the customer more to the software then when they buy it and don't know how to do it.

4. pearsondan99

Couldn't agree more, deployment/configuration examples would be invaluable since there is bound to be a commonality in most offices. My thoughts are, deployment examples should be collected, PDF'd available in the support section of this web site, thoughts? I know some vendors title this "case studies" or "deployment examples" Citrix are particularly good with documentation on providing deployment examples (physical/logical schematics)

5. pearsondan99

I think the point I m trying to convey here is provide enough information on simple setups so sys admins can do this themselves, more complex in depth setups would certainly merit engaging a partner/reseller, however in the spirt of collaboration and freely available products, it would be beneficial to provide basic setup examples to the sys admin tasked with setting up a basic ip tel solution.

If I m off line here and the 3CX stance is to engage business partners to do all implementations please let me know

Dan

6. landfiets

landfiets New Member

That's right. 3CX PR department says that it is a simple but benificial and easy to use system, so offcourse it's obvious that lots of people will understand the software allready by themselves, BUT......it is still good to have a demo setup.
    Like with more other software, just ask the user at the first install if he wants to use a demoinstallation first or not.
    You can always decide to begin totally from nothing or just hook on the demoversion and edit a little here and there. And I am not afraid sitting without a job later, because when they are satisfied with the software I will sell more phones, and other applications to them. You never can put the link there that people who are selfhelping won't bring up some money. It is just how the 3CX Partner is coping with that situation and trying to still get the users attention. The 3CX partner must not be irreplacable, because you make your customer dependent on you. You must bind the customer by letting him know that the customer is clever enough to do it, and you are just the backup. He will come back to you for more cause he feels appreciated and clever.

7. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

It is really easy to install and configure PBX, until you try to use unsupported devices/providers or try to use beta versions. Another difficultly is to understand that you cannot setup VoIP provider at your home if you don't know what is a network. Sure it is very difficult to follow to changes in firmware of devices and sometimes "supported" list is out of date :).
    Other point: it takes less then 1 hour to download, install, configure and try PBX if you know what is it. "Yourtube" demo is also available. It will take another few hours... if you have an interest but a lack of knowledge...
    We are awaiting for reports from our partners and we hope the partners can provide such kind of "demo" if it is necessary, it will be a real help to make PBX better. A lot of partners already do it...
    Sorry, "We are waiting" is not correct - we are greatly appreciating it!

Thanks for you cooperation

8. noobie2

Hi Dan,

As a new user I am fully with you, Here is an example I have created and I will happily create more and add content others feel useful. This is only a first draft so let me know what you think. Obviously we can add configs, IP mappings etc etc

regards

Mark

9. landfiets

landfiets New Member

This looks good, but I understand people also want to know how to configure the real extensions with proxy IP etc.
    So when anyone wants to know about configuring 3CX just to begin, feel free to ask.

10. cpyder

This is very much required. I wish and request if someone could post some 'Install from scratch' kinda guide. A total newbie in the VoIP, i am finding it very difficult to get myself around in these terms. Dunno if it is correct to ask in this thread, but i guess it is close:-

We are a group of about 150 people, and close to 50 extensions on conventional phone lines. We are getting a satellite based VoIP and Broadband connection. We will have two VoIP lines. Our requirement is to patch these two VoIP lines from the satellite output to our local PBX. I can make out it is possible using 3CX. I installed the system and configured two extensions, 100 and 102 - on a brand new PC (I unpacked it just about 30 mins ago). Infact 3cx is the first software installed on it. No firewall - no antivirus.. Nottthing. but I get follwoing in the status window

The line status shows all red. I installed voip client (3cx) on the same machine.. it cant login. I guess its because the server 18:25:55.328 CallMgr::Initialize [CM100001]: *!* Failed to initialize SIP Stack *!*
    any one any help??

Thanks

Okay.. so i figured out what was wrong.. presumably, i just needed to restart the computer. It works fine after restart. This part resolved.. now .. how do i connect it to my existing PBX hardware.. preferably using good 'ol voice modem card. Coz that is the only hardware ive got right now.

11. landfiets

landfiets New Member

You need a gateway from 3CX to the normal PBX. The questions from Mattlander are clear. What kind of phones do you have now. ISDN? Or just analog. Tell us and we' ll come up with some ideas

12. cpyder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.