3cx does not respect iOS "DND" mode

Discussion in 'iOS' started by craigreilly, Feb 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

At night my iPhone goes to DND mode (not 3cx DND) at 10pm to 7am. I don't want to hear notifications all night. I still have a home phone for emergencies.
    However, my iPhone still starts vibrating or ringing even when my iPhone is in DND mode.
    If someone has a support contract - please report this...

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Craig
    Without many details, even it looks (and should) be a simple thing to implement, currently we cannot provide this feature, unfortunately. Simply said - iOS doesn't allow an app to read device's DND flag. When we will figure out a workaround, we will announce.
    Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. craigreilly

All other apps respect the DND of the device... so not sure the difference.
    Also - i can't silence your notifications easily.
    The call comes in and phone starts vibrating or ringing... I just have to wait until the call completes... No way for me to stop the buzz or ring and ignore the call easily - without looking at the display and making a choice.

4. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Craig
    I specified in my answer "without many details". So, detailed:

There are two kind of push notifications: the "regular" one and the "voip" one (introduced with iOS 8 and we are currently using). The major difference is that the "regular" is processed by the iOS (and device's user) before being passed to the application, while the "voip" one is passed quietly straight to the application. Therefore, in case of the "regular" one, iOS is the one who's checking for all app/device settings affecting the push message (sound, badge, banner, dnd), while for the "voip" is app's duty. When we migrated to the "voip" push from the "regular" one, we had to add/implement all these extra checkings - but we are allowed only for app's settings( the ones listed in device' Settings/3CXPhone 14), not device's global ones.

As I said, is a matter of minutes to add an extra checking - the problem is we cannot read that DND flag.
    Regards
    vali

P.S. From Apple documentation:
    [...]
    - The device is woken only when VoIP pushes occur, saving energy.
    - Unlike standard push notifications, which the user must respond to before your app can perform an action, VoIP pushes go straight to your app for processing.
    https: //developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/EnergyGuide-iOS/OptimizeVoIP.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40015243-CH30-SW1

5. craigreilly

I appreciate the extra information. Perhaps I will turn off PUSH for now.

6. advlaser

This is a killer for me as well. My company is in the USA and I work out of Australia. It pretty much means I can't use the app. Does V15 fix this issue?

Another possibility is setting Specific Office Hours Scheduling for that one extension, then check the box to "Automatically change extension profile based upon time of day".

7. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Marvin
    Alongside workarounds, I explained as good I can why it's not possible to implement this - it's an IOS-related limitation, has nothing to do with the PBX version. Maybe iOS 10 would allow us to do it, but until now - we can't.
    Regards
    vali

8. advlaser

I ran into a major snag on this last night. I had my schedule configured to Automatically change profile based upon time of day. This worked as I could see it automatically set my 3cx ios app to Do Not Disturb.

Despite being in DND when a call came through, it rang both my office phone and my ios application once. This was once too many as it woke me up. I did notice that on my office phone the DND light was not on. But in 3CX for windows and 3CX IOS I could see that I was in DND mode. Any ideas there? This should work, right?

9. JonnyM

Looks like this is resolved in iOS 10 if your VoIP app uses CallKit (I assume Apple will 'gently encourage' developers of VoIP apps to move to this):

https://developer.apple.com/reference/c ... guage=objc

Code:
    CXErrorCodeIncomingCallErrorFilteredByDoNotDisturb
    The incoming call is filtered because Do Not Disturb is active and the incoming caller is not a VIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.