3cx Ent v7, SmartNode 4960, BT Service Povider

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ahkal, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahkal

Hi All,

Please can somebody provide some guidance.I am new to VOIP and telephony and would greatly appreciate some assistance.

I am setting up a VOIP system for the company where I work, we have just purchased 3cx Enterprise version 7 as our software PBX

We have also purchased a Patton Smartnode 4960 4port E1/T1, the software version being:

Software Version : R4.2 2008-01-17 H323 RBS SIP

We have also bought some Grandstream handsets - GXP1200 and GXP2010, and one Aastra 57i CT.

I have installed 3CX on a PC/Server, configured some SIP extensions and configured a couple of handsets. So far so good - I can call each ext and 3CX seems to be working OK.

As per instructions from the 3cx website I followed the guide on how to configure a VOIP gateway. I added a PTSN Gateway using the wizard/links within 3cx to generate a config file for the Patton Smartnode.

I have uploaded the config file onto the SmartNode.

Now this is the bit that I don't understand - connecting it all up to the real world.

I have written to BT (UK) to give me the details of the ISDN30e circuit we have. They have replied to my mail and given me the following info. - (I ripped out the real telephone)

IMBTXXXXXX
    8 channels of Isdn30e.
    main number 01675XXXXXXX
    DDI range 01675XXX900-919 (20 DDI).
    6 digits presented to switch.
    CLIP applied.
    Sequential hunting

Please can somebody explain how I glue everything together. I can hookup the Smartnode to the BT circuit and patch it into the LAN where the 3cx server resides, but how do I configure 3cx to route calls to the outside and how does the 3cx route/accept incoming calls from the Patton - Has the 3cx generated config file for the Smartnode done all this for me?

As per above info from BT they are saying that 6 digits are presented to the switch, does this mean that the BT NTE is only presenting/giving the last 6 digits of the real telephone to the SmartNode. If so how does the Smartnode then forward the calls to the 3cx server - it's probably in the config I assume, but I can't get my head around how the numbers coming in are routed to the 3cx and especially in what format.

All my extensions on the 3cx server are 4 digits.

Please can somebody tell me how I go about configuring calls coming into the system so that the last four digits (of the 6) are used to map the call to the SIP extension for that specific DDI number.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi,

When you purchased 3CX, did you purchase the support package? If yes you are entitled to phone and email support and i suggest using that as its more efficient for you. You can purchase support here:

http://www.3cx.com/ordering/pricing.html

Hope this helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ndl

ndl

We are also currently moving to use 3cx and we have a SmartNode 4960 and have 15 channels of ISDN30e.

When we tried to use version 7 of 3cx to generate the config script for the 4.2 version of 4960 it did not work you get config errors in the 4960, I have mentioned this on the forum but not had a response. We could receive external calls but not make them.

But when I upgraded the 4960 firmware to the latest 5.1 and regenerated the script it all work fine.

When you had it all connected up did you use a mobile phone to try ring your main number?

When you added the PSTN device 3cx should of created a “outbound rule” for you this should show what digit you have to use to use a outside line.

But you should login to the 4960 and check to see if you have any startup configuration errors, if you do you might want to consider doing the firmware upgrade to 5.1.

But also the company you bought your kit from should be able to help or are them trying to change you to do the install?

Martin

4. mbaltus

I had the config glitch with the patton 4960 (1x E1/T1) as well (it showed up in the log of the patton). If you manually adjust the line in the config file that gives the error (line 94 in my case), you are fine. The keyword "default" needs to be changed into "call". Naturally you need to import the config again after that. (I don't have the exact string here, I'll look it up and insert it later on today).

For me it was almost plug and play after this. Indeed make sure you have an outbound rule set and also check the other way around (i.e. dial the external number of your ISDN30 with a cell phone or anything and check if you are connected to the 100 phone).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ahkal

Hi All,

after much delay I finally was able to test my smartnode using the BT ISDN 30, I have to admit it was pretty much plug and play, simply patching a Cat-5 from the BT TRIB (ISDN30e) to the Patton port 0.

The only issue I had was when I generated the config using the 3cx Add PSTN Wizard, at the end of the wizard, when you have to confirm the Subnet Mask of the device, the default being 255.255.255.0

if you try to change it to, for example: 255.255.255.128, you get an error saying invalid mask.

So i just accepted the default mask offered, then after saving the config file, I opened it up and manually changed the subnet mask to 255.255.255.128

this is true with 3cx version 7.1 rc1 aswell.

Regards

6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Subnet mask is fixed in RC2 - thanks for your feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.