• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX + Exchange 2007 Unified Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ase

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone been able to install 3CX v7.4744, Windows 2008SP1, Exchange 2007SP1 with Unified Messaging on the same physical server?

I have changed the default SIP ports in Exchange from 5060 -> 5070 and 5061 -> 5071 in the UMRecyclerConfig.xml file, as the FAQ suggests.

When the UM Service starts I get this error in the EventLog:

Log Name: Application
Source: MSExchange Unified Messaging
Date: 2009-01-22 19:42:36
Event ID: 1175
Task Category: UMCore
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: ServerName
Description:
Hosts 'ServerName' and '3CX PBX' cannot be configured with the same IP address. Check your UM IP gateway and DNS server configuration.

I understand this error as "It is not possible to have a Soft PBX and Exchange on the same server", but the 3CX FAQ says it is possible.
I have made posts in this forum and in MS Unified Messaging forum but have not received any clear "It is possible or it is not possible" from any part.

All help is appreciated.

//Ase

If you are running 2008 server use Hyper-V and create a virtual machine with a separate IP address. This assumes that you have good enough hardware to do it.

As far as i have been able to find, Exchange UM has been designed to integrate with a separate gateway and expects to see a different IP address.

Thanks for your reply Discovery1,

Unfortunately my hardware does not cope with running Hyper-V on this machine.
Because of this I am very keen to now if it is possible to run both on the same server.

//Ase

Hi

This is an unsupported / untested scenario but what you could do is to add a 2nd NIC to the Exchange machine. Exchange will need to be bound to one and 3CX to another. Hence when setting UM you woudl need to tell Exchange that the Gateway (3CX) is on the other NIC IP address.

William400 said:
Hi

This is an unsupported / untested scenario but what you could do is to add a 2nd NIC to the Exchange machine. Exchange will need to be bound to one and 3CX to another. Hence when setting UM you woudl need to tell Exchange that the Gateway (3CX) is on the other NIC IP address.

Hi William,

What I have tried earlier was to give my NIC 2 different IP adresses, but the DNS solves these to the same computername and the Exchange error persists.
Adding a second NIC would do the same, or am I missing something?

//Ase

HI

It would therefore appear that Exchange UM is not designed to co-exist on the same machine as the UM Gateway.

Has anyone contacted Microsoft on this to see what they have to say? It sounds like options so far are limited to separate machines.

William400 said:
HI

It would therefore appear that Exchange UM is not designed to co-exist on the same machine as the UM Gateway.

Has anyone contacted Microsoft on this to see what they have to say? It sounds like options so far are limited to separate machines.

Hi William,

I tried different MS forums but none can confirm or deny if it is possible to run these softwares on the same server.
In your FAQ you mension that the SIP ports has to be changed to be able to run the programs on the same server, Have you tested/Can you test this yourself in the lab?

//Ase

No, the software can not be run on the same server. We will review the FAQ. Keep things easy and use the inbuilt voice mail server, its much more performant and setup is much easier.

admin said:
No, the software can not be run on the same server. We will review the FAQ. Keep things easy and use the inbuilt voice mail server, its much more performant and setup is much easier.

Thanks for your reply admin,

The hole idea to look at 3CX was because of the possibility to run all software on the same server.
There are others (1 person confirmed) that have successfully made the configuration I am looking for (look at my earlier forum posts).
But he had no straight explanation how to do it, just several installs/uninstalls of 3CX and suddenly it just worked for him.

Do you have ideas/comments on that?

//Ase

As i said, if you want to run it all on one server, just use the inbuilt voice mail server of 3CX.

Hello all,

sorry i am a complete newbie so please bare with me.

I wanted to know how do i get to inbuilt voice mail server of 3CX? i tried to search for it many times but was unsuccessful always, i would like more info on all the settings as well.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!!

admin said:
As i said, if you want to run it all on one server, just use the inbuilt voice mail server of 3CX.

Hi Nick,

What I want is to use is the functionality of Exchange.
Do you know if todays release of Update Rollup 7 for Exchange 2007 or the comming release of 3CX 7.1 will make any differens?
What is the timeline for your release of 7.1?

//Ase

Ase,

It is not possible to run Exchange 2007 and 3CX on the same physical server. Due to the way that 3CX needs to route calls to Exchange UM, it cannot send to itself and listen from the local box.
You might want to look at virtualization if you are really stuck not being able to throw 3CX on another machine.

Otherwise, what Nick is saying is correct. If you cannot relocate the 3CX server you will need to use the 3CX voicemail system.

Matt

DXS_Matt said:
Ase,

It is not possible to run Exchange 2007 and 3CX on the same physical server. Due to the way that 3CX needs to route calls to Exchange UM, it cannot send to itself and listen from the local box.
You might want to look at virtualization if you are really stuck not being able to throw 3CX on another machine.

Otherwise, what Nick is saying is correct. If you cannot relocate the 3CX server you will need to use the 3CX voicemail system.

Matt

Thanks for your comment Matt,

Why should it not be possible, if they listen to different ports?
Can you explain in more detail how 3CX routes the calls?

//Ase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.