3CX Failover - No internet Services

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Cables, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cables

Good day, I am new to 3CX, I have a question. If I have 3CX PBX installed using their FQDN and my internet service goes down (let say for few days). Would the option to a failover be installing another 3CX pbx server elsewhere on my LAN using our local FQDN. Will this work and are there any other option(s)

2. Saqqara

Saqqara Active Member

When you say internet failure, are we talking SIP lines or site to site VPN where phones are installed.

3. Cables

PSDN Lines connectet to PBX via gateways, All phones are on LAN, PBX Server using 3CX FQDN

4. Saqqara

Saqqara Active Member

System will still work, you need to setup spilt DNS - https://www.3cx.com/docs/creating-fqdn-split-dns/

3CX DNS is only used for external access - i.e remote phones, IOS app.

Internal phones will connect via IP address or internal fqdn supplied by an internal DNS server - better to use fqdn as you can point this to another server in the event of a failure.

When you install 3CX, on the internal lan you select IP or fqdn - of course fqdn needs to resolve to the 3CX server

5. Cables

I am not a GURU so please bear with me. I will be using 3CX fqdn and setup split DNS the PBX server will still function should our internet services fail.

I am not concern about the remote phones etc, I want to ensure that the PBX work (phones provisioned internal, gateways) until the internet service resumes. The point here is we want to have the PBX server function irrespective of an internet downtime, we donot have voip services at this time all lines are PSDN

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you only use a PSTN gateway, and an internal DNS query will return the local IP of the 3CX server, and you have no remote extensions, then services should not be interrupted. Some sets (and perhaps other devices) rely on NTP servers for setting the correct time if they loose power, but that may be the only downside.

Cables likes this.
  7. Cables

Please bear with me I am no Guru.

I am installing 3CX Server using 3CX fqdn, okay I will setup split DNS.

My main concern here is will the PBX server works should our internet service goes down, (calls route to our internal phones). We have ISDN lines not voip.

Just want to ensure that the PBX server still works when the internet goes down, internal calls are very important, remote phones, ios app etc will resume after

8. Cables

Thanks, understand

9. tratz

tratz New Member

I would get your own FQDN and mirror it to your internal DNS. Looking at your requirements, you would have an issue with 3cx's DNS if you don't mirror the domain internally if you lose internet for a few days (since 3cx dns is out on the internet). Much easier to do it with your own FQDN if you are concerned about internet reliability.

--Tracy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.