Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

3CX for Mac/Windows over WiFi

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by IT Hamster, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IT Hamster

Hello all,

This is not an ideal setup, but I'd like to get your feedback on running 3CX apps for Windows/Mac over a wifi network.

In theory, this is going to cause all sorts of quality issues. In practice, it causes all sorts of quality issues.

Scenario: WLAN --> Gig Switch -> SBC -> Firewall -> WAN -> PBX (cloud hosted)
    I believe the 3CX app extensions use the Tunnel direct from app to PBX in the cloud.

Try as I might, some clients are very adamant about using WiFi or do not want to pay to install wiring to desks or have remote offices where wiring isn't possible or cost efficient.

Have any of you deployed 3CX into WiFi networks with any success?

or maybe, what would you say to a client that wants to run phones off of WiFi? is it a viable option?

Thanks in advance for your time!

P.S.
    I should note, this environment has Physical phones installed on wired connections and those work great.

2. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I have no experience with WiFi VoIP Phones, but I have heard other people complain about them. Would DECT phones be an option?
    Granted you would have to connect the Base to a cable. Also, something I don't know about WiFi VoIP Phone, but there are some DECT Phones that allow roaming (multi-cell) if you require more than one Base stations like the Snom M700. I don't know if this is possible with WiFi ones though.

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I will preface by saying that I have used limited Wi-Fi connections with either a Wi-Fi enabled phone {Cisco, GS) and/or a Wi-Fi enabled desktop using the client, but in either case the intent was that the device was stationary and had a good, stable signal.

I had no issue, but the 3CX system was on the same LAN, the Wi-Fi was highly manageable and there were no concerns about the AP getting very many clients or getting saturated nor the client computer having a large need for access.

Given a preference, it would be:

1. Wired
    2. Dect phone
    2. Wi-Fi enabled phone (stationary)
    3. Softphone (stationary)

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I use a Cisco SPA525G (stationary desk set)over Wifi with no issues what so ever, I forget the it is not hard-wired, but, it never moves. Once you begin to move around and the signal strength varies as well as how many users there are sharing the channel. Those will begin to cause problems in some cases. Every situation is going to be different, find out from the customers what they expect the phones to do. They may have to lower expectations as it's not going to be the same as "grabbing" a Wifi signal at a cafe and surfing the net. Any degradation in signal will be noticeable to a degree, when sending voice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.