3CX FQDN deleted due to expired maintenance

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by teldata1, Jul 12, 2017.

3CX FQDN deleted due to expired maintenance 5 5 3votes
5/5, 3 votes

1. teldata1

It has come to my attention that if you don't renew your maintenance, the 3CX FQDN and SSL certificates are deleted? That could be disastrous for my clients who don't need maintenance but need the FQDN and SSL certificate for the softphone and STUN provisioned remote phones. Can this not be the case?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. teldata1

I always push maintenance on customers, but if for whatever reason they can't afford it or are not interested. They basically lose all of their remote softphone usage, even on a perpetual license. Doesn't seem right to me, personally.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nathan Boyd

But there is a management cost to 3CX for the free domain. To be honest, they've never hidden the fact that PBX edition is only FREE for 1 year using a 3cx.us domain. They still have to manage the subdomains and field the calls from people about it, so there IS a cost. At an 8 call license the maintenance really isn't that much.

4. mamo

I think the main problem is coupling Letsencrypt support with the need to have a subdomain hosted by 3CX.

My company has multiple domains registered and it would have been a matter of seconds to set up a new subdomain for our PBX. I would have very much preferred this method of installation. However setting up Letsencrypt is a different story. It might be possible, but there seems to be no easy straight forward path. I especially could not find a solution for automated renewal of the certificate and was not inclined to do this manually every 90 days...

So long story short: In the end I did choose to take a subdomain provided by 3CX. But really, the support for Letsencrypt was the sole reason for doing so.

Until now, I did not have any problem with this decision and as I am planning on paying for maintenance in the future, I probably never will. Still, knowing that the FQDN will be deleted if - for whatever reason - maintenance is not payed, does not feel right. It kind of limits my freedom to chose whether I want to keep paying for updates or not and thus takes away one of the main advantages of a "perpetual" licence.

Manage the subdomains: Yes. Field calls: No.
    As the subdomain is directly pointing to the IP of the PBX, managing the DNS-Records is really all the work there is for the 3CX Servers. If you want to establish a connection to your PBX via your 3CX subdomain, some DNS-Server (usually provided by your ISP) is all you need for that. 3CX won't handle any traffic. In fact they won't even notice if / when your are your are using your domain.

So, yes, there is a cost. But it is extremely low. There are a bunch of DynDNS services on the market that are basically offering the same service for free.