• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX going into trial mode after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfournier

Reaction score
Every time I have to reboot the server that 3CX is running on, the system seems to go into trial mode (or some other reduced functionality mode). For example, none of the BLF buttons on the phone light-up and users can't transfer calls.

To resolve it, I go to Activate License, enter the same license key that's already displayed in the Product Details, enter the Customer and Reseller Details and click Activate. The 3CX Phone System service restarts, all the BLF buttons light-up and everything starts working again.

I've had to do this after every server reboot.

Why is tha activation not sticking?

Have you looked at the services status page before re-activating the license to make sure all services are running?

Yes, all services were running.

Does the server have more than one NIC?
This can happen when the 3CX PBX has two NIC's with 2 MAC addresses.

Also, if upon server reboot there is no internet connection, the licensing algorithm can't verify the license key and revert back to demo mode.

The server does have two NICs, but one is disabled.

Network connections (and Internet) should be re-established after a reboot just like any other computer.

hfournier said:
The server does have two NICs, but one is disabled.

Network connections (and Internet) should be re-established after a reboot just like any other computer.

True, but perhaps 3CX is looking for the license key before the network connection is ertablished.

I had this occur to me today.
I was logged into my Windows 7 Virtual Machine and accidentally hit LOGOFF on my Mac interface which shut down my VM Ware.
I logged back in and my VM restarted as programemd to do.
Then I noticed my License was for 4 calls. I clicked on "Activate License" in the settings menu and got an Error 50. Once again, I typed in my License information and hit Activate. all is well.
This is not good.

Any member of support that might be monitoring this - any testing done on VM Ware?

I have had a 3cx version 10 running on Vmware ESXI 4.1 for almost a year now. I have never had this problem. Do you have the vmware tools installed?

The problem occurred again last week following a reboot.

However, last night, I demoted and removed the old SBS 2003 server from the network and cleaned up DNS, etc. After rebooting the SBS 2001 Essentials server (where 3CX is installed), I checked 3CX and this time the Activate screen actually showed "FREE VERSION" and the License Key was missing. In all previous times where I've rebooted and had to re-validate 3CX, the correct License Key was still displayed.

So we'll have to wait for the next required reboot to see if this issue is resolved or not.

PS: Nothing virtual in this environment.

Looks like this issue was resolved by the demotion and removal of the old SBS 2003 server from the network.

It has happened to me before too.
I am running win 7 pro on VMware on a Mac mini

I do not reboot very often...

This worries me. Even through I accept 3cx needs to protect their software the fact that it appears to keep the product licensed requires a connection to their server every time it reboots makes me very uncomfortable.

I assume from this that you can longer run 3cx on a server without an internet connection. That seems very restrictive. It also makes the product very unreliable. I would also assume that if the 3cx license server went down any user who rebooted would be stuck in demo mode. That then leads to an obvious question, if 3cx was sold to another company or went out of business (I very much hope it won't) then does that mean everyone looses their license.

I certainly had not been aware that continuing use of the product required a reliance on server outside the users network. I certainly believe 3cx should do all it can to protect its software, its in everyone's interests they do, but I also believe that once you buy a legitimate license you should be able to rely on using it for so long as you wish to do so.

There has to be a better way to protect the product and the users interests surely. A way for users to back up their license and feel secure.

Anyone using 3CX with VOIP must have an internet connection anyway for the system to make and receive calls so that part makes sense. As to the license part I would agree, perhaps a dongle would be a better idea?

Not all users rely on VoiP for outside calls. I know of one V9 installation that is purely on PSTN links to the world and a local LAN to the phones that has no internet available. I didn't do the original setup so I can't say if an internet connection was available when it was installed, but looking at the information here I guess it must have been.

Someway to transfer the license to a USB stick would certainly be useful, may be with a system to ensure it can only be transferred to one installation at anyone time to protect 3cx from the disreputable who might try to over install the product. A system were it has to be returned to the USB stick from the installation before it can be reused.

I just posted a feature request on the 3CX facebook feature request app re: a license dongle. post your ideas and vote for them and maybe 3CX will implement it.
http://apps.facebook.com/threecxideas/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amar2
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.