• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX Hold Music / Line in

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfletcher2

Reaction score
Multi tiered questions!

We have a customer that has a 3CX server that is still on an old version (12 or 12.5). We did not upgrade them them because they actually have an iPod feeding an audio line in for their hold music. This feature was removed in some versions of 3CX and this was important to them. Our office has v15. Looking at the hold music I see an option for line ins. Does this mean we could make this work on newer versions?

Also in relation to the above, I was actually trying to get this to work and I could never get the hold music to actually change. I thought it was related to the line in so I changed it to some other music and it just never changes. I even went into a queue and tried changing it and then called the queue and still just get onhold.wav. It seems like no matter what I do, it never applies the hold music changes. Any thoughts?

Is the audio files in the correct format?

Line in has been dropped since version 14-15 i believe. In version 15.5 the randomize hold music has more options I believe that was re-worked from version 15. I don't have any old versions of 3cx to compare.

In V15.5 there is no line in functionality, however playlists were added where you can upload different audio files and create playlists that can be used in Queues, music on hold, Call Parking etc.

Is the audio files in the correct format?

Well, I can't get any of the built in audio files to play, and I have ran the audio format converter provided by 3CX, so I would think so?

In V15.5 there is no line in functionality, however playlists were added where you can upload different audio files and create playlists that can be used in Queues, music on hold, Call Parking etc.

Okay, I saw a bunch of line in options under playlists and assumed these were built in, but I just installed a fresh version of 3cx and they are not there so these must of been from our legacy tech.

Here is my issue with playlists... Won't it always start at the beginning of the song? So if we have 5 songs and when someone calls in it will always start at the beginning of one of those 5 songs? Our main customer that uses the line in feature was turned off from the original implementation specifically because of this.

Line in has been dropped since version 14-15 i believe. In version 15.5 the randomize hold music has more options I believe that was re-worked from version 15. I don't have any old versions of 3cx to compare.

See my response about the built in options below.

One thing I am not clear about, you have converted some wav files into the right format, but on what version are you trying, V15.5?

If so, would it be possible to upload one of the files that is having the problem? (if its not copyright infringing of course)

Line in would sure be nice...hint hint.

One thing I am not clear about, you have converted some wav files into the right format, but on what version are you trying, V15.5?

If so, would it be possible to upload one of the files that is having the problem? (if its not copyright infringing of course)

We are on version 15. I would need to look up the build number. And we ran the automatic converter provided by 3CX.

Upon a little more digging, I think some of the audio files I thought were built in may not actually be built in. Let me do a little more testing before I waste your time on the file itself.

Also, did you see my concern in my reply to another person. Here is my issue with playlists... Won't it always start at the beginning of the song? So if we have 5 songs and when someone calls in it will always start at the beginning of one of those 5 songs? Our main customer that uses the line in feature was turned off from the original implementation specifically because of this.

I guess if I could figure this out, it may make everything else mute, assuming I am doing something wrong with the hold WAV file.

Line in would sure be nice...hint hint.

I am fairly new to VoIP systems, but someone I work with said that the old system he used to work with (non-3CX) would create a stream of music from a bunch of audio files and then when the phone system placed someone on hold it would play the music wherever it was in the stream. It essentially acted as a ipod running on the system. Something like this would be nice.

Won't it always start at the beginning of the song? So if we have 5 songs and when someone calls in it will always start at the beginning of one of those 5 songs? Our main customer that uses the line in feature was turned off from the original implementation specifically because of this.

Please note that playlists work as a continuous stream. So the first caller that calls in the system will hear the song from the beginning but everyone else that calls in the system will join the stream from the point the stream stopped.
If the same playlist is used for a queue and for shared parking the stream will be the same so a caller that is parked for 2 minutes and a caller that has just joined the queue will hear the same music. I will actually act as you have an external device connected to the system playing a list of songs.

Reactions: JCLloyd
Please note that playlists work as a continuous stream. So the first caller that calls in the system will hear the song from the beginning but everyone else that calls in the system will join the stream from the point the stream stopped.
If the same playlist is used for a queue and for shared parking the stream will be the same so a caller that is parked for 2 minutes and a caller that has just joined the queue will hear the same music. I will actually act as you have an external device connected to the system playing a list of songs.

That is awesome! I actually asked this from other sources and did not get a clear answer. I appreciate this!

That is awesome! I actually asked this from other sources and did not get a clear answer. I appreciate this!

Does the music in the playlist section have the same file format requirements, such as .WAV and PCM, 8 kHz, 16 but, Mono? Will the 3CX provided automatic converter convert these or is it best to do conversions prior to uploads? Is there any good documentation on this that I can just dig into?

Does the music in the playlist section have the same file format requirements, such as .WAV and PCM, 8 kHz, 16 but, Mono? Will the 3CX provided automatic converter convert these or is it best to do conversions prior to uploads?
Yes, the same .WAV file format requirements apply.
The converter should transform pretty much any common audio file into the right format, but sometimes conversations don't sound as good as when they are recorded directly into a lossless format, then converted in one go to the desired one.

Reactions: nfletcher2
If there are only one or two on the system at once I believe the wav file starts from the beginning each time. I would prefer a rolling audio like a standard pbx with line in.

If there are only one or two on the system at once I believe the wav file starts from the beginning each time. I would prefer a rolling audio like a standard pbx with line in.

Can you clarify what you mean by "If there are only one or two on the system"? Do you mean only a couple audio files or people on hold?

Yes, the same .WAV file format requirements apply.
The converter should transform pretty much any common audio file into the right format, but sometimes conversations don't sound as good as when they are recorded directly into a lossless format, then converted in one go to the desired one.

Is there any way to run the converter on specific files offline? Say, if I want to convert a group of files on my PC and then upload to 3CX?

Can you clarify what you mean by "If there are only one or two on the system"? Do you mean only a couple audio files or people on hold?
As soon as the pbx is clear the file starts over. Take one client off of hold and talk and put back on hold if no others on hold it restarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NGPMH
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.