Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

3cx hosting best practice

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by 3cxBora, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3cxBora

Hi,

I am trying to get feedback how others providing hosted 3cx services.

1) Remote Extensions - STUN, SBC or VPN setup
    2) How are you pricing for the monthly fee? Per extension or per user?
    3) SIP Trunking Fee - do you bill the client or have the client sign for third party sip provider, i.e. Appia or Vitelity?
    4) How do you tax the client if you invoice for the SIP trunk?

Thank you,
    Bora

2. supplenta

Bora,

Very difficult to police the 'per extension' pricing unless you fully manage the system yourself. We charge based on max number of sim channels, 4, 8, 16...

If you bill for the SIP trunks/calls then i'd recommend getting a lump sum upfront that can be used as credit, unless you trust/know the customer well!

We don't have any SBC/VPN setups. Our customers register their extensions remotely. You can use the built-in firewall in 3CX to block out all traffic other than the customer IP (providing your customer has a static IP).

Hope this helps a little.

Simon

3. 3cxBora

Simon,

Thank you for the reply.

1. Are using multi-tenant version of 3cx?
    2. What is the built-in firewall feature of 3cx? Can you tell where to find this?

Thxs,
    Bora

4. simonjh88

Hi Bora,

1) Yes, using the multi-tenant, V14. V15 multi-tenant has been changed to a linux version.

2) The built-in firewall has been fine for us. There isn't really much to do other than tweak a few settings. Are you using V15 or V14?

Simon

5. 3cxBora

We use v14 on Windows 2012 and hardware firewall connected to Internet.

Most of our client have VPN site-to-site our 3cx server.

1) When your refer to 3cx built-in firewall, is the Windows Server 2012 firewall?
    2) Is the Windows Server with 3cx directly on connected to Internet with public IP address?

3) For the 3cx billing, are you billing for SIP trunk or dial tone or is the client pay third-party SIP trunk provider directly?

TIA,
    Bora

6. simonjh88

Hi Bora,

1) 3CX has its own basic firewall config. You can amend the ports from the default 5060 and permit/deny IP addresses/ranges. I'm not sure how much it links together with Windows firewall though. Some information on firewalls and how to configure them with various hardware firewalls can be found here: http://www.3cx.com/docs/firewall-router ... tion-voip/

2) Yes, ours is directly connected. That is the best way to work it.

3) As the company I work for do a lot of work with call centres, we work closely with VoIP providers. Therefore we bill the customer at the end of each month for their call charges. New customers that we don't have existing relationships with, we ask for a small credit upfront of maybe £250 just to sit in a pot to cover ourselves.

Either way will work fine though. You could always act as a reseller for a VoIP provider and then just refer the customer directly to them, that way you can earn some commission too. Something we have done over the years :)

Simon :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.