3CX: How to choose which line to dial out on

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by david.ideabubble, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david.ideabubble

Hello,

I have one trunk set up with two geographical numbers coming in on it. I have my ring groups set so that calls from either number ring the phones in the office. I am having trouble working out how I can choose which line I would like to dial out on. Can someone either help me with this issue or point me in the right direction.

Kind regards,
    David.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

If I understand you correctly, you have one trunk that is bringing in two or more numbers and you would like to be able to add in some outbound rules that will allow you to select/direct which number to use on an outbound call. I don't think this is an option as there is one physical connection (your trunk) that is supporting two logical numbers. When you create the rule, you only have the ability of setting to which trunk (physical) you wish to connect. I am not certain why a need might exist to select a number, but assume it may have something to do with how you want the caller-id info to be presented to the receiving end. Can you provide more detail?

3. david.ideabubble

Hello lneblett,

That is correct. I have one trunk with two numbers (DID's) registered.

It is important for us to be able to select which line we want to call out on as one of the numbers is for support purposes only, as it is currently configured we can only ring out on the product support line, this I hope you can see is problematic. While this line is in use for general enquiries our customers cannot contact our support team.

Does this make sense?

Regards,
    David.

4. danhriscanu

danhriscanu New Member

Hi,

Maybe you should try to create 2 trunks for those 2 numbers and differentiate outbound calls based on outbound rules by trunk.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lneblett

OK, a little clearer. Can you advise the Sip trunk carrier? On the surface I agree that perhaps the carrier can provide a separate trunk/registration for each, but a couple other questions:

1. How many lines do you have and how many simultaneous calls does your 3CX instance support?
    2. What happens to the support trunk in the event that an outside call comes in and the line is answered by your folks, but another outside caller makes an attemot to call the support line/number while the original call is still on-going?

6. willow

willow Member

if it is a sip trun, then there is no real line to call out on. everything is is logical, you can set the outgoing caller I'd via my phone if you need to change it on the fly. you can also have 2 seperate extensions on the phone, that way you can select the "button" and then dial out and that will change the caller Id.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. david.ideabubble

@ Danhriscanu
    I was thinking something similar but I have to wait until after office hours before I can try.

@ Inebiett
    I have asked my provider this same question but they have not yet got back to me. They are very slow. From what I see so far having multiple trunks is the easiest solution.
    We have one ISDN line providing our connectivity to our VOIP provider. We have two numbers with them. These are then registered individually as DID's within 3CX. We can have one call at a time on our current configuration. This however does not negate the need to be able to choose which line we want to dial out on. The reason why we want to do this isn't in question here its how it can be done.

@ Willow
    Hello Willow, I have seen MyPhone on the 3CX website but don't know much about it. We use Polycom phones here, does MyPhone work with your hardware phone to provide additional functionality? I am unsure as to what MyPhone is exactly. I will be sure to look into it.
    As for multiple extensions on the one line, I suppose the difficulty is finding out how to choose which extension to dial out on.

Thank you all for your input.

8. lneblett

David, I never once suggested that it was not needed nor did I question its intended use and I fully understand the question of how to do it, but you did not provide any information about how your system is set-up or the carrier being used. Only now do we understand that you have a ISDN 2 channel trunk. I do not know what interface card is being used or the country, but I am of the opinion that you will need to discuss possible solutions with your provider or it may be possible to address with the interface card. The 3CX system will only route to the trunk as presented to the system. So, somehow you need to segregate the lines into a trunk for 3CX to handle or there has to be some post processing. Take a look at the following: http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/beronet-berofix-dial-plan/
    This may provide some insight on possible solutions.

MyPhone in and of itself will not solve your issue, but it may ease some of the monitoring and setup of the extension activity within the system.

9. david.ideabubble

Hello lneblett,

My apologies, when writing my last post I never intended to cause such distress. I merely wanted to keep the focus on the how and not the way.

I am delighted to announce that I have resolved the issue. I created a second SIP trunk with my service provider and associated the new office number with that account. After this I created new inbound and outbound rules.

Now calls coming in one line A use the office ring plan and calls coming in on B use a direct extensions. Also, we now have the ability to call out on either line.

Thank you all for your input.

Kind regards,
    David Power.

10. lneblett

Not a problem and gladd to hear it is working. Sometimes, without knowing exactly how a system is configured, it is difficult to determine what might be the issue and what solutions may be possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.