3CX ignores entries in HOSTS file

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tekknow, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekknow

I recently made a Hosts file entry on a 3CX system that is on a public on a public IP.

I was able to ping to the correct (hosts file resolved) IP from the PC running 3cx to the host entry

After an ethereal capture, I see that 3cx ignores this host entry and attempts to register to the host resolved from a real DNS lookup, and appears to ignore the HOSTS file entry

Is there a fix for this?

2. Discovery Technology

Have you considered running your own local DNS Server instead as a workaround?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tekknow

HUH? I think setting up an additional server to support 3CX is a bit of a wacky solution. In a case like that it is easier to change to a different PBX. I'm sorry but your workaround is wacky!

There is NO JUSTIFIABLE REASON that 3CX should ignore hosts file entries.

4. Discovery Technology

You could try running the DNS server software locally avoiding an additional box, but anyway...

Just out of curiosity, have you checked to see if your hosts file has an extension on it? Have you tried the old ping test from DOS to confirm that your hosts file works?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tekknow

in my previous post I did quite clearly state

"I was able to ping to the correct (hosts file resolved) IP from the PC running 3cx to the host entry"

Perhaps reading is understanding

6. worksighted

worksighted New Member

Can you clarify for me what action 3CX was taking related to this entry in the hosts file? Was it a host that you were registering a VoIP line to?

Thanks.

Mike

7. Powermage

Powermage New Member

Teknow, because of you responding here you dont have any support on your 3cx pbx, so be glad that people are trying to help you instead of being such an ass.

if you run 3cx on an server 2003 or 2008 box it is very easy to just install microsoft DNS server software on the machine, if its running on an windows xp desktop then you could try to install one from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_DNS_server_software this list. no need to use extra hardware, just an simple software adition.

8. edp4you

Installing a DNS server into the same server to make work a PBX ?
    Damn it, it's very funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.