3CX in Australia

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Anonymous, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are there others in Australia who are experimenting with 3CX? If so I'd be interested in hearing from you all.

Currently I'm running v2.0.657.0 (as indicated by the Server Status window).

I have 3 x 3CX softphones configured (2 notebooks and a desktop) and all communicating with each other across my home LAN.

I have an Engin account and a FaktorTel account but have not been able to get either of these 2 VOIP gateways working with 3CX. FaktorTel won't register - I'm wondering if it might be my ADSL Router/Firewall Port Forwarding ruleset (I'm using a Netcomm NB5Plus4 ADSL2+ router/modem).

FaktorTel via my Linksys PAP2T ATA works just fine (I can make calls to a landline and can receive from a landline).

Engin via my Sipura 3000 ATA works just fine too (I can make calls to a landline and can receive from a landline).

So I'm not sure it's my modem/router that is stopping FaktorTel from being registered on my 3CX. May be I've specified the credentials incorrectly or put the wrong info in the wrong field (all the differing terminology between the various VOIP gateways & ServiceProviders is somewhat confusing).

Cheers, Mark.

2. Fallout

I am trialling it in Sydney,Australia.

I successfully register using MyNetFone and iinetphone.You have to port forward port 5060 to the servers IP.It should register then.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Fallout.

5060 is currently forwarded to my Linksys PAP2/T ATA (and my FaktorTel account). That may explain the non-registration. I'll change port forward of UDP 5060 to my 3CX server and see what happens. I'll also go join with MyNetPhone and iinetphone. I've just joined GoTalk so I'll attempt to register them on 3CX also.

When I'm done I'll list my VOIP numbers here so others can call me for testing (and vice versa).

Cheers, Mark.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have registered with MyNetPhone ($0 plan and $10 prepaid). Awaiting email for my account details (signup doesn't appear to be instant - looks like they want to check my details on Monday before I'm approved??).

Did not register with iinetphone as they only offer as a minimum the $9.95pm plan.

3CX won't register FaktorTel or GOTalk. 5060/5061 UDP & TCP ports forwarded to my 3CX IP PBX. Don't know what's wrong! Hmmm ...

I want to register several VOIP gateways so I can establish dialout rules to control which VOIP gateway I use (some offer cheaper local/national rates than others, while some offer cheaper international rates than others).

I've yet to work out how to connect an ATA box to 3CX (Linksys PAP2/T). Is it a VOIP gateway or a PSTN link? I guess it's a VOIP gateway.

I've also set up an Asterisk box but I haven't done much with it lately. I think Asteriskk is going to be much more flexible than 3CX (3CX has a long way to go).

Cheers, Mark.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Up and Running :)

Ok, got FaktorTel (AU) and GOTalk (AU) and SipGate (UK) all registered as VOIP Gateway Providers. My problem was the firewall (ZoneLabs) running on the machine hosting the 3CX IP PBX was blocking UDP calls to my external DNS (I've never had any app request DNS services via UDP before!!).

I can't seem to get VOIPDISCOUNT (Germany) registered (http://www.voipdiscount.com).

I've got 3 - 3CX SIP softphones running (2 x notebook, 1 x desktop). I can't seem to get BIPPhone to work with 3CX IP PBX. I haven't tried XLite yet.

Each of the 3 extensions (soft phones) can call each other (over my LAN). Each can also call out to a PSTN line (through 3CX and then via the FaktorTel gateway as this is what I've specified as my main dial-out rule).

Cheers, Mark.

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

VOIP providers

Hi MFR,

Thank you for your feedback! Are there any gotchas to get FaktorTel and GOtalk to work? Could you provide us URLs and possibly the 'field names' that these providers use for the SIP proxy, and the SIP user name and password? That way we will post it in an FAQ.

In regards to VOIPdiscount i tried to find a link to get a test discount but could not find it. If we do, we will check what happened.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi admin.

I've got several (free) softphones to work with 3CX. If I get some time I'll document where to download and my settings etc for the benefit of all.

There are no 'gotchas' re: FaktorTel and GOTalk. I shall document for all when I get time too :)

Will continue testing 3CX and look forward to the next update Nick. Just yell if you need any specific Australian testing etc.

Cheers, Mark.

8. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Thanks!

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Yes any screenshots of austrialian VOIP service provider configurations would be great. Only if you have time...

Thanks again for all your feedback.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi admin.

I can't find in any of your docs where/how to change the default SIP port of 5060 that 3CX listens on. I can do a netstat -a from a DOS Box and see that 3CX is listening on 5060 for both UDP and TCP.

I have a VOIP Gateway box on my LAN (Sipura 3000 SPA) that is locked and I can't change it listening on 5060, so in order to do my 3CX tests I must switch off this SPA, change my port foward rules at my ADSL Modem/Router, test, then put it all back again (as the SPA is used for my home phone).

I've also used the excellent nmap tool (http://www.insecure.org/nmap) to scan all open ports on my SPA/ATA devices. Interestingly enough, the Linksys ATA (Sipura 2000) and Engin SPA (Sipura 3000) both don't show any SIP ports - in fact the only ports that show open are 80 (the web interface).

I can't even Telnet to these devices on 5060 either ... I'm disconnected. Weird.

Hmmm ... what experiences do you (and others) have regarding this issue?

10. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Port 5060

Right now its not possible to change the port that 3CX Phone System listens on for extensions - i.e extensions must work on port 5060. This is something that we will do in beta 4, i.e. make it configurable.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Okay, thanks. Given B3 isn't our yet I guess it'll be a while before B4 hits the site :) Any ideas when B3 might be released?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1) Sometimes when making a call (either from ext to ext or to an outside circuit via a Voip Provider, the extension indicator does not change (i can hear the remote phone ringing while it waits for someone to pick it up but then the remote phone times out), but other times it'll change to an orange colour with the caption "calling" (and if answered, "connected" and remains orange).

2) There is around a 3+ second delay when calling from ext to ext (both extensions are on a Sipura 2000 ATA). Are there any params I can explore/fiddle with in the ATA to "tune" this timing?

Bugs??

1) I added a new outbound rule but 3CX doesn't recognise it.

12:23:02.264 Incoming c16 "3CX Ext 103"<sip:103@192.168.1.7> <sip:2121@192.168.1.7> Incoming call (before routing)

12:23:02.295 Dialed number 2121 is not known to the phone system

12:23:02.295 Found destination Endp:Dummy for caller Ext:103

12:23:02.295 Rejected c16 "3CX Ext 103"<sip:103@192.168.1.7> <sip:2121@192.168.1.7> Call destination cannot be resolved

12:23:02.326 Terminated c16 "3CX Ext 103"<sip:103@192.168.1.7> <sip:2121@192.168.1.7> Call ended

I stopped and restarted the 3CX (and therefore it's dependant Media) Service. I've still got the same issue - my outbound rule that says "if a number starts with 2 then discard the 2" (using the 'r' character).

I've also since implemented a '3' and '4' rule to route out to different Voip Providers. Same deal - 3CX doesn't recognise the rule.

Cheers, Mark.

13. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Yes, there was a bug. It's already fixed and will not appear in versions since beta 3.

You're dialing '2121', but probably you forgot about one-digit prefix to reach outbound line (see General settings). By default it's '0', so for your rule to work you had to dial '02121', if you haven't disabled the prefix.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Archie.

Default Outbound Rule Where in the manual does it say that the 'default outbound rule' (the only one that exists when you install 3CX) has '0' as the outbound prefix? I can't seem to find it (in the v2 manual).

I do recall changing the 'default' rule from 'any gateway/any provider' to 'use provider xyz'. Then when I dialed a number starting with 0 it was correctly routed out to my provider, and numers like 100 went to my extension.

What the manual doesn't tell (in any detail) is how this default rule behaves. For example, with the default install, neither 'gateway' or 'provider' radio button is selected - so what gateway or provider does 3CX use if I've more than one provider configured? Sure, you can nominate 'any' but which one does it use? the 1st in the list? What determines 'who/what is 1st'? I think this area of the manual could be improved.

Custom Rule Regarding '2121' ... I had created a rule that said "anything starting with a '2' should be routed to VP xyz" (after stripping off the '2' with 'r').

So even if the default rule regarding '0' (inherently) exists, my '2' rule should of been invoked anyway (especially as it appeared before the 'default' rule).

Yes, my '2' rule is for an outside line (via provider xyz), but to put a '0' in front (making it as you suggest 02121) doesn't make any sense to me I'm sorry. My '2' rule is actually designed to dial "121" with one of my providers so I can retrieve my voicemail from them. I can't dial "121" straight off because 3CX will think it's a local extension I'm calling. I can't dial "0121" because that doesn't route correctly when I've got more than one provider defined. So, "2121" is supposed to send "121" to my provider #1, "3101" is supposed to send "101" to my provider #2, etc etc etc (I've set up round 5 providers).

I documented all this to Nick around 1-2 weeks ago. I know Nick had to travel but I haven't heard from him since. Are you with 3CX Archie?

Cheers, Mark.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello all.

Just a quick update ...

I have purchased a Grandstream GXP2000 SIP phone. After spending a week+ playing with it I've found it to be a great introductory SIP phone. Works well on the 3CX platform.

I've also had it configured to register with around 6 VOIP providers too (Australia, UK, USA).

Note: I cannot get voipbuster or voipdiscount to register (with any SIP phone, hard or soft, or 3CX).

So, my 3CX setup now consists of:

1 x Grandstream GXP2000 SIP
    1 x Linksys PAP2/T ATA (with 2 x real PSTN phone handsets)
    3 x SIPsoft phones (2 x notebook; 1 x desktop)

I still have major outbound rule issues (please refer to previous posts). I've not heard any more about this from 3CX Admin staff just yet :(

Looking forward to Beta 3 :)

Cheers from Mark
    Sydney, Australia

16. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Hi, Mark,

Sorry for delay, I haven't got notification about your message on my e-mail.

You see, there is outbound rules and there's also special one-digit prefix to reach outbound lines. First, you should dial that prefix for the system decides to apply any outbound rules at all. This prefix is strpped out from dialed number before outbound rule applied. It should be mentioned in manual, but I haven't it by hand, so I cannot point out exact place. I will see it on Monday and give you the pointer.

The system checks all gateways on list in the order of appearance in interface. If that gateway has a free line - it is used for call, otherwise next gateway is taken, and so on. It is beta, and algorithm of choosing external line might get more sofisticated before release, that is why it's not described in detail.

Just try to dial '02121' and see what will happen :)

Yes, I'm with 3CX :)

Best regards

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Archie.

So, if I may recap ...

1) To have ANY outbound rule "looked at" you MUST start your called number with a zero (0).

2) This "zero prefix" rule is inherent in the 3CX software and cannot be overridden or controlled (at present at least).

3) Any dialed number that doesn't start with a zero is assumed an "internal" (ie. extension) number.

4) If only the Default outbound rule exists (where neither the Gateway or Provider radio button is selected), then 3CX will determine the next available "outbound" circuit as determined by an internal algorythm. If either Gateway or Provider radio button is selected, then only that list is scanned for the next available circuit.

5) The 'r' character removes characters after the zero prefix - the zero prefix is automatically removed from the outbound number. So "0292008765" will actually dial "292008765". And if you had specified 1 "r" in the outbound rule 3CX would of sent "92008765" to the outbound circuit (gateway or provider).

Please adjust my 1-5 point guide to 3CX dialing :)

I'd like to arrive at the definative 3CX dialing guide. Once I understand the "rules" then I'll be able to apply them successfully to my circumstance, and hopefully, once and for all, provide the definitive list of "3CX Dialing Rules" for everyone to understand.

Cheers, Mark.
    (Beta2 version User)

18. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Hi Mark,

Almost correct. See General/General Settings page of user interface, section Other. There's Prefix for external calls field. You can change it to any number, but you cannot remove it completely.

Exactly. But not only extension - it could be also ring group, Digital receptionist, IVR special menu, etc.

Yes, correct.

Thank you for your efforts, we appreciate it much :)

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi...
    if I remove the "0" in the "Prefix for external calls" and click on "OK" for save, I see "0" but my calls without "0" go out correctly.

Regards,
    Elia

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very interesting :)

Yes, mine has the same behaviour :)

Archie/Nick, I think this may be one of those "bugs/features" :)

Now I like not being forced to have a single digit prefix outbound dial rule because it gives me just that little extra flexibility (and one less digit my staff have to dial).

In a large-ish business environment I can see that most staff would be used to dialing "0" (or "9" or whatever) to get an "outside" line. This is, after all, standard/common practice with the PABX's of old. But does this mean that the newer (eg. 3CX) digital systems should enforce/force such a outbound prefix rule?

Hmmm ...

I say make it an option and let the "company" (3CX PBX client) decide whether it wishes to enforce such a rule on it's staff.

3CX should be flexible enough IMHO to do this ...

Any other thoughts?

Cheers, Mark.