3Cx license

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by antonius, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonius

I'm new in the 3Cx enviroment and will appreciate if someone can explain to me how the license work. On the 3Cx site it states that the license is for external and internal calls, so for instance if I buy the 8 sim license and I have 4 internal calls I can only make 4 outbound calls at the same time, I've heard another story that if you don't use G729 internally the internal calls does not use any of your licenses and you can always make 8 outbound calls even if 20 extensions are on internal calls, I also was told that if you have 8 licenses it is split 4 for voip and four for pstn trunks only, you can't use all 8 for pstn, please advise, because I don't want to be taken for a ride when buying licenses

2. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

It simply refers to the number of concurrent calls of any type. So an eight call license will allow the first eight calls requested, whether they be internal, extension to extension, extension to voice mail etc, or external calls, outside user to an extension or extension to outside user to be made. If a ninth call is requested it will be refused with message saying the license has been exceeded.

As far as I am aware there is no restriction or preference on the type of calls made. For example you can not allocate so many calls for internal only or a particular type of external connection method.

To calculate the licenses you need you simply need to know how many of your users will be making external calls (one user, one call) at anyone time plus the amount of users on internal calls divided by two (two users, one call). Do bear in mind that if you intend for users to call in and collect voice mails that will be another call.

Also if you plan to use call queues each user in a queue is connected to the PBX so would count as another call.

3. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

8cc calls would be your SIP trunk coming in you could only have 8 call paths coming in. That has absolutely nothing to do with internal calls.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

When I last tested it (V9.0) internal calls counted towards the licensed number.

5. mixig

mixig Active Member

I think Paul is right regarding simultaneous calls.. internal call or outbound, doesn`t matter

6. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

All calls count.
    Internal -> outbound
    Outside -> internal/incoming
    Internal -> internal/vm
    Internal to internal is 1 call, even though 2 users might be on the call.
    I have observed that picking up a parked call requires an available license.
    Ie, on an 8 license system : call comes in. It is parked in sp1. 7 other calls are happening. The parked call can not be picked up until a license is freed up by someone terminating their call.

Your trunk could support 99 calls, but if license if for 8 calls then that is the max.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

Think of it this way ... Grab paper and pen and draw the 3CX system as a box having your extensions and trunk lines connected to it. Each call connects an extension to an extension, or an extension to a line. If you draw a line inside the box connecting each of those calls, that line requires a license ... It doesn't matter if it's going in or coming out, and if its internal or external ... Each call through the switch fabric requires a license. If you have an 8SC license, then you can draw 8 connecting lines ...

Note that this also applies to 'Paging Groups' ... you can't page 10 extensions on an 8SC license ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.