Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

3cx Linux (AWS) + OpenVPN

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by josea, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josea

Hi,

I know it is NOT recommended by 3CX (and not supported). However, has anybody been able to setup OpenVPN service in the linux 3CX PBX?

We are trying it, and as soon as we start the OpenVPN service the "3CX PhoneSystem 01 SIP Server" shuts down. Almost like it was monitoring the network interfaces on the server and shutting down on purpose.

Again: I know this is not recommended. Still, in my scenario I would still like to test it as an experiment.

Any experience? Thanks.

2. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Hi Josea,

It probably is- my guess is that 3CX will only accept tunnel connections in from port 5090 (3CX tunnel).

Standard VPN connection is supported but obviously the tunnel does not terminate on 3CX itself.

I guess you want to use Open VPN so you can set up tunnels to individual phones.

Good idea but sounds like more trouble than it's worth- you can setup a standard VPN from Google cloud or AWS id just just do that.

3. josea

Thanks. We are trying to figure out what the best option is to support *small* remote locations that need a physical fax machine.

A FXS Gateway (Pattons) works out, as long as there is a VPN.

We are considering using a raspberry as a VPN router at the remote location. We need a VPN server in Amazon's side. We could use Amazon's VPN, but it costs more monthly than the VM itself (0.045$/hour).

It is cheaper to fire up another Debian Nano instance to serve OpenVPN in the Amazon side. It is just starting to get more convoluted than one might hope.

4. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

I have setup several Pattons remotely via SBC and STUN to 3CX and where they work quite well if i wanted to do FAX with one I would only really recommend a standard VPN for this.

josea likes this.
  5. dredd0606

If you're considering using a RPi as a OpenVPN router, why not just use it as an SBC? I use physical fax machines connected to Grandstream HT-801 via SBC on RPi in several location, works great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    josea likes this.
  6. josea

I tried with the Patton one. It didn't work for outbound faxes (it worked for inbound) - didn't know this Grandstream HT-801 could work.

I see it is not really supported (but at this point none of the options are supported).

How do you provision it? (do you have a template?).

7. dredd0606

I provision the HT-801s manually.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    josea likes this.
  8. josea

Are you using a T.38 SIP line, or just a regular line?

We got a Grandstream HT-802 for testing. An analog phone works great. The fax incoming works, but outgoing fails.

The only options I see for playing in the Grandstream provisioning are the ones below. We already tested the 4 different combinatinos with no luck.

Fax Mode: T.38 Pass-Through
    Re-INVITE After Fax Tone Detected: Enabled Disabled

Thanks.

9. josea

So, we were able to receive and send faxes, remotely, using a SBC (this is not production yet, but the testing are working).

For anybody that might be interested:

1. Use a T.38 SIP line.
    2. Do NOT use a 3CX "Fax" extension. Create a regular extension (and direct it to the fax).
    3. Set the GrandStream to use T.38 fax mode, set the Outbound proxy with the SBC IP. Disable "Fax RE-INVITE after fax tone".

IntegraVoIP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.