• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Implemented 3CX mobile Client - Roaming 4G/WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tifoso

Reaction score
The mobile clients (iOS, adnroid) should handle the Roaming between different networks. If I change during a call the location from WIFI internal to outside (go out of the company). the mobile phone connect to 3G/4G and lose the active call. It should be possible also otherwhise (3G/4G to WIFI).

I made some tests:
- Wifi internal only -> Connection to 3CX and communication is possible
- 3G/4G only -> Connection to 3CX and communication is possible
- Roaming from Wifi to 3G/4G during a active call. -> Communication will be lost
- Roaming from 3G/4G to Wifi during a active call. -> Communication will be lost

I made also some tests with whatsapp call, skype, and cisco jabber. the other applications/solutions can handle the hopping/roaming.

this behavior is common. the customers move during a call through different networks an will be still connected in a active call.

Upvote 76
It should be possible also otherwhise (3G/4G to WIFI).
Or even call should complete over 4G despite higher price?

Reactions: Otto Lodewijk
Reactions: Lev
+10

I agree, at the very least, give an option in the mobile clients to force the calls to use 4G. Clients do not think about their calls dropping when they leave the office, or walk by a cafe with open wifi. Asking a client to turn off wifi is unfair. However, giving an option to force the 3cx client to only connect via 4g is not only fair, its smart. That way clients can choose between paying for their data and having their calls not drop, or being able to connect using wifi, and having calls drop anytime their network status changes.

+1

It is also necessary handoff when the 3CX client moves form 1 AP WIFI to another in the same LAN with the same SSID

Totally agree, many of our customers thinks that mobile softphones are useless because of the issues named here, and we already lost one !
Sad to see only few voted here !!

+1
Calls that drop when switching networks should not happen.

+1000

+1
I think softphones on mobile phones are a great idea, but with the current implementations they are just not viable, without staying exactly where you are. Changing from wifi to 3g/4g is a fundamental feature for mobile phones that are meant to be used while moving. Perhaps add a feature to always connect via pbx so the pbx can hold calls for the network transition?

+1

It is also necessary handoff when the 3CX client moves form 1 AP WIFI to another in the same LAN with the same SSID

I tested this during a call once and walked around the inside of our building. In my WAP Controller Logs, I hit 3 different AP's and the call continued without issue. Perhaps I should test this functionality again.

Tested and did not drop the call:
Code:
2018/09/19  14:51:38
AP[HUB] radio [11a/n] detects User[MYMAC] in WLAN[VWPrivate] roams from AP[R300-4]

2018/09/19  14:51:38
AP[R300-4] radio [11a/n] detects User[MYMAC] in WLAN[VWPrivate] roams out to AP[HUB]

2018/09/19  14:51:30
AP[R300-4] radio [11a/n] detects User[MYMAC] in WLAN[VWPrivate] roams from AP[Accounting]

2018/09/19  14:51:30
AP[Accounting] radio [11a/n] detects User[MYMAC] in WLAN[VWPrivate] roams out to AP[R300-4]

2018/09/19  14:51:20
AP[Accounting] radio [11a/n] detects User[MYMAC] in WLAN[VWPrivate] roams from AP[WH4]

2018/09/19  14:51:20
AP[WH4] radio [11g/n] detects User[MYMAC] in WLAN[VWPrivate] roams out to AP[Accounting]

2018/09/19  14:50:30
AP[WH4] radio [11g/n] detects User[MYMAC] in WLAN[VWPrivate] roams from AP[WH1]

2018/09/19  14:50:30
AP[WH1] radio [11a/n] detects User[MYMAC] in WLAN[VWPrivate] roams out to AP[WH4]

2018/09/19  14:49:33
AP[WH1] radio [11a/n] detects User[MYMAC] in WLAN[VWPrivate] roams from AP[TECH-ROOM]

2018/09/19  14:49:33
AP[TECH-ROOM] radio [11a/n] detects User[MYMAC] in WLAN[VWPrivate] roams out to AP[WH1]

Last edited:
The problem is usually not a Wifi with different APs (if well configured), but a change of the technology (Wifi<>Mobile). But I'm not sure if this is possible to get rid of it, as this is not a problem of the Client.
If it's possible to stay on Mobile, it's fine.
Another problem is, if you switch from mobile to Wifi, the call is lost on the Softphone, but still connected (as long as the other person is not disconnecting). So your phone is blocked.

Reactions: nitrox
Does 3CX work on the solution so that a handover between WiFi and 3g works?

NO it doesn't.

We roll out the last month a new complete 3cx installation for our company and today we run into this 4G/Wifi issue.... Samsung J3 between 4G/Wifi and the connection is lost and much worse the 3CX client seems complete gone... lost calls... This issue, dispite this thread, is a showstopper for our business.

So with no solution in short time we run back to our old systems. I already searching for my shoes..
a Pro Licence member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boykins_54
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.