3CX Mobile client status is green even if phone is powered off

Discussion in 'Android' started by Shawn, Feb 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

Is it normal for the mobile client (android) to show the status as green even though the phone is powered off?

I've seen this with all of my mobile clients in my test environment that I've setup with the free version. Status works fine and updates instantaneously but if I power off a phone or exit the app with push off, the status of the client for that mobile phone stays green.

I just tested it and it seems as though the status remains to whatever the last state was before the power off.

I would think that there would be an offline option where the status would change to offline if the client is not connected to the PBX.

Any enlightening thoughts on this.

Thanks

Shawn

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, when PUSH has been enabled against an extension, the PBX assumes that it is available to receive and respond to the push notification, which is a one way message.

3. Shawn

Shawn New Member

leejor, I guess I don't exactly understand your answer. I am trialing the PBX to see if it will fit our needs. I have push enabled on all extensions. I don't understand how this would affect the PBX knowing the status of the extension. If I manually change the status of the extension on the device, the status is updated instantaneously across all devices.

If the PBX 'assumes' the extension is available when in fact the device is powered off, then this does not make any sense in a UC enabled PBX. How can a UC enabled PBX not know the presence / status of the extensions / devices that are connected to it.

I'll have to test this but if I am using a soft phone and I turn off the computer, then will that extension status still show green on the other devices?

This just doesn't seem to well thought out to me.

Thank you for any input you have on this.

Shawn

4. Sopock

Sopock Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I brought up the same concern when I first used PUSH.

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/push-devices-always-show-as-registered.44685/

When an extension has PUSH enabled even if it is not currently registered, you have told 3CX to always send out a push message on an incoming call to essentially, wake up the set. If the status is changed to , "not available",, then I believe that no PUSH message will be sent. Simply turning off the phone, or moving to an area with no signal, is not enough to cause this to happen. 3CX is still going to assume that somewhere out there, the extension is available, waiting for that PUSH message. If PUSH were a two way system, then a "keep alive" could be sent back on a regular basis, in the same manner as re-registration.

Whether this can be modified, given the limitations of the PUSH service, is something 3CX would have to answer.

6. Shawn

Shawn New Member

leejor, I understand now. Thank you for the explanation. It seems as though the areas with mobile clients and also, video web meeting are new to 3CX where they are pushing their way into unchartered waters and using available technologies such as Google PUSH to reduce development time. Not being able to initiate a video call / conference from the mobile app is also an issue. I'm sure they are aware of these issues and are doing their best given the time it takes to develop and GA new features.

I disabled PUSH on one extension and found that the extension would go off-line (unregister?) as soon as the focus was taken off of the 3CX app on the mobile device. Calling the extension using the extension number on the dial pad would send the call straight to voicemail. It looks to me like they found Google PUSH and decided that it's good enough to quickly fix this problem of not being able to receive calls if the mobile client app is not in focus. Perhaps this is a stepping stone to a quick fix and they are working on another method to check the heartbeat of the device for later releases.

This is the stuff I like to find out about, by kicking the tires, before I buy the car and find out that the air conditioning only works when the outside temperature is below 85.....

7. Sopock

Sopock Member

To quote one developer of open source phone from 2012:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Shawn, that status is EXTENSION's registration status. There are Extensions and Devices. An extension is Logical, a device in Physical. An extension can have none to any amount of devices assigned. If at least one of its devices is Marked as registered, extension will appear as registered. Being Marked as registered doesn't necessarily means there is any device "alive" - the device only "announces" the PBX it will be available/registered for a certain amount of time and that's the end of the story, the PBX never query that device to see if it is still "alive", and during that time the status will be "green".

P.S Sopock, about that r3gis3r quote... It's like saying your computer consume more battery if there are no applications running than if there are thousands running but each keeping only a TCP connection open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.