• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX - Multisite Setup Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihearyou

Reaction score
Hi Community,

I work for an MSP and we have just inherited a client which uses 3CX for the phone system at both sites. I am new to 3CX and am asking for some advice on the current setup and also the best way to fix a few things.

The current setup which we have inherited is:

1. The client has two sites. At each site a 3CX is installed and the handsets at each site go back to local 3CX box.
2. When site B needs to call outside of the organisation it relies on site A to be online. From looking at our firewalls the phones on site B talk to the 3CX phone system at site B and then the 3CX system communicates back to Site A via port 5090. The calls then go through site A 3CX system. This is not ideal as if site A goes down site B can't call out.

3. The way site B communicates to site A is via a simple portforward rule on the router at site A (5090) Not safe at all.

What i would like to know is the following:

1. Are we able to keep both 3CX systems in place at site A and B and establish a VPN connection between sites so that the voice traffic goes across a secure VPN connection than rather a open port out on the net?
2. Can we put sip lines in at site B so we aren't relying on site A to always be online? This way only internal calls go between sites and any outside calls go out the local 3CX system?

Thanks heaps everyone and I look forward to your suggestions.

Regards

Hello @Ihearyou

Are the sites connected together using a bridge? You will need a bridge so that extensions from the 2 systems can talk directly to each other and see presence. If you are using a bridge most probably the 2 sites communicate through the tunnel as you see traffic from port 5090.
Traffic through the tunnel is encapsulated so it is quite safe.

To keep the 2 systems working as one (being able to call extensions of the other PBX internally) you will need to use the bridge.
You can put a SIP line in site B also and use that for outbound calls so you do not rely on site A. You will need to re-direct the calls using the outbound rules of the PBX.

Since you are new to 3CX and you inherited the systems i would recommend going through our academy section. You can find all the info you need there to install and maintain a 3CX system.
https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/

More specifically regarding bridges:
https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/videos/advanced/3cx-bridge-configuration/

Reactions: jed
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.