• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX MyPhone regarding password**USER ERROR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKoen

Reaction score
There seems to be a bug in the 3CX MyPhone Silverlight Application. When I try to log on to my extension, it only accepts the Voice Mail PIN number as the password for my extension and not the Authentication password. It does not matter whether or not voice mail is enabled on the extension.

Re: Bug in 3CX MyPhone regarding password

MrKoen said:
There seems to be a bug in the 3CX MyPhone Silverlight Application. When I try to log on to my extension, it only accepts the Voice Mail PIN number as the password for my extension and not the Authentication password. It does not matter whether or not voice mail is enabled on the extension.

that is how it should work, it is not a bug. Ext. number and Vmail pin.

Why is that? Why not the password? This makes it confusing. Took me a while to figure out why it didn't accept my password. I also first need to enable the voicemail on my extension in order to be able to configure the voicemail PIN number. After applying the change I can disable it again. Doesn't sound like how it logically should work.

MrKoen said:
Why is that? Why not the password? This makes it confusing. Took me a while to figure out why it didn't accept my password. I also first need to enable the voicemail on my extension in order to be able to configure the voicemail PIN number. After applying the change I can disable it again. Doesn't sound like how it logically should work.

how so? do you want all user's to know the authentication password of there extension? Most people remember there VMail PIN because they need it to check VMail. Also it does say directly on the log in screen "extension number" and "PIN" not password.
you need to understand why it is the PIN and not the password. In most cases an administrator will not be giving out the authentication password to users just the PIN and extension number, in any case the authentication password should be a strong password to thwart hacking attempts and if you use a weak password people can remember you will have users complaining there password is too difficult to remember.

Okay, from that perspective I can imagine having the desire for a separate set of credentials for setting up voip extensions and accessing information regarding a voip extension. I can imagine there will be cases where the administrator does not want users to be able to install a 3CX client on their own machines and connect to the 3CX PBX.

I still believe that from an user experience perspective the login to the 3CX MyPhone is confusing (perhaps change the text PIN to VMail Pin) or better yet change the layout of the 3CX Extension Management to place the PIN Number field in the Authentication section. This so that one does not have to enable voicemail first to change the PIN. Also because it is not at all tied to just voicemail anymore, but is actually a way of authentication for the extension, it is more logical to place it under authentication.

Its until you get used to it. Everyone figured this out till now.

It is the way it works. It is tied with unified communications where you have 1 pin to access your voicemail and your MyPhone portal. It has nothing to do with the credentials used for SIP. Those are for Phone registrations.

Yes it might be confusing the first time when you are used to enter authentication id details in the phone. but the 3CX MyPhone is not a phone. It is a web portal. Also these things are explained in manuals, blogs etc. So I do not think we have a problem here.

Everything is easy if you know how it works. The challenge when developing software is to make the user interface as intuitive as possible. Sure you can write blogs and manuals describing into the smallest details how stuff works, but thats not how most users work. You know, the users that are using your software and are eventually causing you to have an income. If you buy a new blueray player, will you first take the 100 page counting manual and start reading it from the beginning to the end? Or will you unpack it first, assume there's a logical layout for the basic stuff like play, stop and rewind and then perhaps later on you will start reading the manual to find out what else you can do with it? I know I would do that and I know most other people would do that too. Why is Apple this big as a brand these days? Because they're ingenious in developing intuitive user interfaces. Why is Microsoft Windows used way more over the world compared to Linux? Because it has a more intuitive user interface than Linux.

Don't get me wrong here, it is your software product and you should make it as you feel is the best for your users. From my experience as a software architect I can say: never ever base decisions on things like "It is the way it works" and "Its until you get used to it". Take one step back before saying that and place yourself in your end users how they would think it should work and expect it to work.

I rest my case. Have a nice weekend :D

As a user, you are given one PIN, to use for anything that 3CX requires. It's simple to change, and doesn't compromise the system if "discovered", just your line/voicemail. Don't forget, it is Personal Identification NUMBER, not an alpha numeric password. Think bank machines, you have a PIN, and you probably also have a password to give to a bank agent that requests it for verification purposes.

You're right leejor. But that was no longer the discussion. The discussion moved towards the management side of 3CX where the PIN number is listed under the VoiceMail section and thus requires voicemail to be enabled in order to be able to change it. You strengthen my point, thank you for that. The PIN is for anything that 3CX requires, not just the voicemail so in my opinion it should be under authentication instead of voicemail.

You're right, there should be a user PIN set (required) regardless of whether voicemail is active with a particular extension.

It is how it is guys. We have other things to worry about at the moment. We want to keep pins as minimal as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.