3CX network setup question.

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by garyjduk, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garyjduk

Hi,

I'm about to add a SDSL line for my VOIP traffic and just wanted to know the best way of setting up the internal network.

I have an existing computer network with an ADSL static public IP address and all computers on private subnet. I am adding a SDSL line that comes in a NAT setup (static public IP - private subnet)
    Does anyone have any suggestions how I setup my internal network to connect these two together or is it best to keep them apart as two seperate subnets. Is it best to keep them apart as it might mean a single point of failure going through some type of dual WAN router? The only reason I can think of for the two subnets to talk to each other is for the 3CX Assistant on everyone's PC's to register with the 3CX PBX and also the User Portal. I could get round this by just using the tunnel facility in 3CX Assistant from the PC's to the SDSL public IP and logging in to the User Portal over the SDSL public IP.

Before I buy the kit for this I'd appreciate some views and how a professional company would set this up.

Many thanks.

2. pauladams

In my experience, you wont get more than one layer three interface on the inside of your Linksys/Netgear type home router.

ie. [4.2.2.2] - [router] - [192.168.0.1]

On a better router (Cisco 2801) you could have Fa0/1 configured with subinterfaces and have a different ip address on fa0/1.10 and fa0/1.20. This would give you the ability to segment your voip traffic and do QoS outbound on the router, but it wouldn't give you the ability to have redundant up links.

One option would be to have two nics on the PBX box. One in the VOIP network (192.168.0.xxx) and one in the PC network (192.168.1.xxx)

The phones would be 192.168.0.10 - 254 and the computers would be 192.168.1.10 - 254. You could set the ip address of the PBX to be 192.168.0.2 on the voip side, and 192.168.1.2 on teh computer side.

You would need two internet routers for this, each connected to their own DSL line. One wire from router one into nic 1 on the pbx, and 1 wire from router two to nic 2 on the pbx. Phones would register to 192.168.0.2 and the agents running on the PC would register to 192.168.1.2.

Sounds like you are running a really small op, why do you need the agent functionality? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I am no expert with the software, but I do have 10+ years in networking.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

3. pauladams

ADD:

You will want to forward UDP port 5060 to the IP Address of your 3CX. This will allow for better call quality and will also allow internet hosts to register with your PBX (if you want that).

Alternatively you can set up your windows box as a DMZ host, but this is just begging to be hacked, even with the windows "firewall" enabled.

Hope this helps.

4. garyjduk

Thanks for the suggestion - I think I'll go for the dual nics.

Just a couple of questions,

Are these nics bridged in this example?

To force 3CX to use the SDSL line only - is this done within 3CX or within Windows

5. pauladams

No the nics are stand alone. Configure one with 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 and no default gateway. Then configure the other nic as 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 and then point the default gateway to 192.168.0.1. That's how you force the server to use that gateway. If you configure both nics with a default gateway you will have erratic result.

HTH :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.