• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3cx on IPhone Voicemail Playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

jivetel

Titanium Partner
Basic Certified
Reaction score
Good afternoon to all,

Previously on the Iphone app when selecting to play voicemail on the phone you had the option of "local" playback (quick-time) now it seems the only option is via "call-back".

1) Any reason for that?
2) Any work around?

Thanks!

@jivetel
No, there is no work-around for this.

We removed it because (bottom line) the coexistence inside the same app of a downloader, a music player and a call handler made the application very unstable and crash-prone - for instance, when goes to the background or lock the device a music player is expected to continue running, while for a call one is expected to stop running; a music player app don't expects to be interrupted by a SIP call and a SIP call app don' expect to be placed on hold by a song - and so on...

Just curious, what are the advantages of the missing local play vs play-on-phone?

Vali,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

1) It was faster
2) Its calling back the "extension" which can have a slew of other issues (call rules, secondary phones ringing).

The "faster" I cannot understand: it wasn't streamable, so you had to wait the additional download time; even more, the download wasn't resumable, so if it failed just one byte before finish, it had to be fully downloaded again, from the beginning - another additional time.

Strictly in terms of what is was able to provide, the only feature local play had and is missing from the play-on-phone is seeking.

as an additional note - what's wrong in recommended approach, ie to configure extension to send voicemail files as eMail attachements?

Good afternoon,

Not sure all would agree :)

I would suggest adding

1) Auto answer (it can even be a default setting yes/no)
2) It should call back to the "IPhone" specifically regardless ignoring other registered devices.

- The play file auto-answer was implemented some years ago, then removed due to forked-id side-effects.
- I'm not a SIP expert, but to my knowledge it would be pretty difficult to make the PBX calling a particular contact (device) since it operates, basically, with extensions - a good example is the callback service.

Vali,

Thinking through this further 3cx can definitely make it only call the "iphone" - With that said auto answer would be no brainier as it would almost be like an instant playback via SIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.