• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX on Windows or Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Crouch

Reaction score
Hey!

What would you guys recommend? Running on Windows or on Linux?

I've seen some things like this 3CX Powershell Module which is using a .dll, and I'm not sure would have a parallel on the linux side (although maybe now would be a good time to mess with Posh core....)

Though there are other ways to interact I'm pursuing anyway like https://domain.nc.3cx.us:5001/api/TrunkList which would be good, since it's a web API, I should be able to run that from an admin machine instead of creating a remote session and using the dll there.

Those are the only things that I could figure out that would be different, other than Windows Licensing. What are your thoughts? anyone have suggestions ?

PS, if anyone has messed with that /api/ endpoint and has more idea how it works, I'd love to see that.

Hi Kevin,

Obviously you've picked up on the main reason people pick Linux over Windows- that being the extra cost of the licence.

I personally prefer Linux as mostly due to Windows updates I find Linux more stable, Windows 10 has been particularly bad recently I've found.

Windows firewall and security I've noticed turns itself back on also.

A prerequisite of Linux would be that I would advise you learn the basics first.

I'm using 2012 Essential ~$300. Still a license, but less expensive than 2012 Server Standard. Have not played with the API's at all...
(What other WebAPI's exist like the one you mention?)
But it has been solid since day 1. Just do not expect to attach it to a domain as a member.

Last edited:
@craig to be fair, as far as I've been able to find out from support and such, this isn't a "public" API even though it's exposed to the public.

I basically opened the Developer Console in chrome and looked at how it was getting information and saw URLs like the one above, which returns useful JSON.

For others, like editing extensions it isn't nearly as useful, following more of a process where it seems to tell it to "open" the extension, adjust whatever you change, and then save or update it back again to exit the extension. But so far this is all looking at what the browser is doing from Client side mostly. I haven't found (myself or support) documentation on THIS API. So, fair warning, playing with this might break things :)
o9ZjLuL.png

Understood completely. Would only use to poll the system. Wouldn't try to make any changes this way.

Not that I need to do it very often but my linux box reboots in under a minute. Furthermore if I install GNOME I can have a full desktop and then close it out if I want. Why would I want to pay for a Windoze license to run an inferior operating system? Linux is easy to learn and you don't have a pesky registry to get corrupted. It's mostly in /etc. But I'm a Microsoft trainer, what do I know?

Reactions: FlaTech
Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with both Linux and Windows. I was thinking Windows might be easier for others to follow behind me when I leave sometime in the next year, although maybe they'll throw me some side work to do any big changes?

I imagine it's not too hard to migrate from Linux to Windows or vice versa if I really needed to. Is it just as simple as getting the .zip backup and restoring on the other OS, plus the IP addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.