3CX on XP Pro - 10 Concurrent IP Limit

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by zanthexter, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zanthexter

I'm hoping to be able to run 3CX off of XP Home / Pro or Vista Premium / Business and avoid the extra cost of a server license. My understanding is that Microsoft limits the desktop OS's to 10 concurrent TCP connections for security reasons.

Has anyone had any problems with a fair sized number of extensions? Say up to around 50? As SIP communicates MOSTLY using UDP rather than TCP, I wouldn't THINK the 10 TCP connection limit in XP would apply, but I'd prefer to not find out after the fact :)

Z.

2. thenua

Hi zanthexter,

I suspect most people run 3CX on XP or Vista. It certainly doesn't need a server.

I'm not sure what the "10 connections" refers to in your Post. In XP I am aware of a default 10 connection limit in relation to the IIS server. But that's all.

IIS does not need to be installed to run 3CX. If it is installed (for the purpose of allowing the administrator to perform a console logon say), it certainly wouldn't restrict call numbers. It would however restrict the number of people who could logon to the admin console ! But typically that would only be one person anyway.

Remember, you can always download and run the "free version" of 3CX to test out any theory or test any limit before outlaying any $$$'s.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    thenua

3. zanthexter

Well, as no one has mentioned there being a problem, it doesn't sound like there is one. Google "xp tcpip 10" for more info on my concern. The connect limit applies to file shares, torrents, IIS, and more or less other "server" kinds of things. The point being that if you need a server, Microsoft wants you to purchase one.

As for testing, weeell, yes and no. For me to test it, I'd basically have to roll it out :p The idea is to know if there's a problem BEFORE I roll it out :mrgreen:

Thank you much for taking the time to reply!

Z.

4. thenua

Hi again,

Unfortunately my 3CX instalations have not exceeded 10 extensions so I am not the one who is going to provide the reassurance you are after !

I did however check out "xp tcpip 10". I really can't see this being an issue in relation to SIP. SIP just doesn't work that way ! (The problem I am commenting on is 10 new and pending connections that are TCP and occurring in less than 1 second !) Some posts seem to think it could be a problem with peer-to-peer file sharing in some situations. But SIP is very different and far less intensive in its behaviour !

zanthexter, only other thing I can add to reassure I think is how pleasantly surprised I was when I first installed 3CX on how little resource it used. In a fall-back situation, I actually ran one instalation of around 8 extensions off a 10 year old laptop for around a fortnight with no problems. Even XP struggles to boot on that Laptop. However 3CX just seemed to run flawlessy on it ! That was version 6 however. I note the mimimum requirement recommend by 3CX has gone up since then. But its still doesn't seem to tax any of my machines. (Two are XP-Pro and the other Vista-Ultimate).

Perhaps post again and ask if anyone has experience with > 20 extensions and see what feedback you get.

Also, if you do go ahead, be sure to report back on your experience (good/bad).

Cheers & Bets Wishes
    thenua

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

The limit you are referring to does not effect the phone system if you use Cassini as opposed to IIS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. comresource

comresource Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.