• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX overwrites desk phone settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtinet

Customer
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to 3CX IP PBX. I have downloaded the free version and I am evaluating it with 3 SNOM 720 phones and the 3CX Windows soft client. Any changes I make on the client or phone get overwritten whenever the phone reboots or re-registers. This also happens when I program the phone via the Phone UI on the 3CX management GUI. About the only settings that will remain constant are the ones you can edit on the Extensions tab of the 3CX management GUI. Is this normal behavior?

PBX Version: 15.0.0
SNOM 720 Version: 8.9.3.38
Windows Client: 15.0.56008.0

Thank you in advance for any insight you may have.

Kevin

In the PBX there were (previous versions) time zone settings for each make/model phone (as a group). Did you change those from the default?

Thanks for your response leejor.

Within the Extension - Phone Provisioning tab of the 3CX management GUI I have the ability to set the timezone, so I'm good there. Other settings, like caller-id display style, tone scheme, U.S. date format, 24 hour clock, ringtones, function button definitions, etc... I can change on the phone or via the 3CX GUI and they get changed back to default when the phone reboots.

I can view the config file for each phone on the Phones tab of the management GUI, and I see where the variables are listed; time_24_format, user_ringer, date_us_format, etc... but I cannot edit anything. I wouldn't think I should have to edit the config files manually. That seems like it would be too easy to wedge up the system.

I had in mind... under Settings (left side menu), Phone Provisioning, Time Settings. This has time zone settings for various makes/models. Ideally, these settings would be correct before creating configuration files. The location in the latest version may be different.

If you provision the phone with 3CX, the main screen in which this is done is somewhat limited to the base functions that the majority of phones support - codecs, timezone & BLF keys. When this is done, the default template is used and the previously mentioned items are then inserted into the config file and sent to the phone along with the name, extension number and certain other pieces of static information such as where the phone is to look for its configuration upon a reboot as it has to be assumed that a configuration change could occur should the phone ever go off-line,

If all phones need the same settings, then you can modify the default template accordingly so all will pick up the same details, Should you need a custom template then you can modify the default and when saving, give it a different name so that you can use this one instead of the default on those phones that need it.

If you make manual changes to the phone via its web interface, those changes may be overwritten on the next reboot as the phone collects its configuration from 3CX depending on the variable's presence or lack thereof, and if present if the variable in the phone at the time is different from that of the configuration.

The 3CX provisioning screen is a standard that is used for all makes and models of phones as there are too many variations (not counting the firmware differences that may also introduce new features or settings) to design a screen for each and then maintain going forward. So, they provide the base and then allow you to edit accordingly. Some of the other manufacturers of PBS system provide a reasonably fully featured provisioning capability, but usually so only for their own brand of phone.

Thank you leneblet for the detailed description. I can see the config file for each phone in the management GUI but I cannot edit it there. Where do I find the default template?

gtinet said:
Thank you leneblet for the detailed description. I can see the config file for each phone in the management GUI but I cannot edit it there. Where do I find the default template?

Please forgive my ignorance. I just found where the phone templates are located. Thanks for your help.

I found the phone templates in the settings menu of the management GUI. However those templates cannot be modified and any 3CX online documentation I can find seems to be for the previous version. I am running version 15 and none of the online documentation matches what I'm seeing in the GUI.

Specifically, http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/phone-prov ... templates/ is nothing like what I'm seeing in V15 GUI. Not sure what I should try next but I will keep plugging away.

Tried a different browser? IE was not supported in prior version. Chrome worked just fine.

Thank you for the suggestion Frank D. I hadn't thought of that yet. I tried Firefox and Chrome. No difference. Looks like I'll have to edit the template file directly in the Windows folder.

in v15 - do not change the default templates.
do not manually copy to the template folder.

create your own template in notepad+
save as text file (.ph.xml)
upload it as a new template under the settings section of 3cx management

craigreilly said:
in v15 - do not change the default templates.
do not manually copy to the template folder.

create your own template in notepad+
save as text file (.ph.xml)
upload it as a new template under the settings section of 3cx management

Too late. I've edited

C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Http\Templates\phones\snom.ph.xml
C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Updates\AppData\Data\Http\Templates\phones\snom.ph.xml
C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Templates\phones\snom.ph.xml

and changed time_24_format=off and date_us_format=on but this did not accomplish what I was wanting. The phones still boot but the date and time are still not displaying how I would like them to.

What am I missing? Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

I'm hoping someone out there can explain to me the proper steps to create and load a custom SNOM 720 template on V15. I scrapped my previous install because I had modified the default templates to get my problem solved. So I'm starting from scratch.

1. Settings > Templates then choose snom.ph.xml from the drop down list and copy it to custom_snom.ph.xml.

2. Found custom_snom.ph.xml on the Windows Server at C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\bvlv0v......\CustomTemplates\phones\custom_snom.ph.xml

3. Edited custom_snom.ph.xml with Notepad++ to include my desired changes. Saved file.

4. Created an extension in 3CX and configured Phone Provisioning for that extension by adding SNOM 720-custom_snom (custom_snom.ph.xml) and MAC address.

5. Open SNOM 720 GUI and go to Advanced > Update. Update the Setting URL to match the 3CX server.

6. Booted SNOM 720 and it pulls the default template and none of my changes are there.

Does anyone know if I'm missing a step or why this doesn't work?

Thanks,
Kevin

Try to access the MAC-specific provisioning file with a browser. What do you see? Is this the file you expected? I have no experience with V15 maybe the MAC has to match the MAC of the system requesting the file, but I don't think so.

And try to manually trigger the reprovisioning via the phones GUI. What are the results?

You can than capture the network traffic on you server while you reprovision the phone. What happens? What provisiong method (PNP, option 66, ...) is used, what folder and file is requested?

Frank D said:
Try to access the MAC-specific provisioning file with a browser. What do you see? Is this the file you expected? I have no experience with V15 maybe the MAC has to match the MAC of the system requesting the file, but I don't think so.

And try to manually trigger the reprovisioning via the phones GUI. What are the results?

You can than capture the network traffic on you server while you reprovision the phone. What happens? What provisiong method (PNP, option 66, ...) is used, what folder and file is requested?

Frank D - Thank you for the suggestions. I may have figured out part of the problem. It appears that if I reboot the server after editing and saving the custom template the changes will get picked up by the phone. I have edited the custom template twice and each time the phones would not get the changes unless I rebooted 3CX server first. I have no idea if this is "normal" behavior or something unique to my environment.

Now that I think I have customization figured out, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it's possible to force inband DTMF on SNOM 720 phone. What I read on 3cx.com says this is determined by the phone. When I search the SNOM wiki, it says that DTMF type is negotiated and determined by the PBX at call setup time.

Thanks!

All you should have to do for the system to 're-parse' the templates is to restart the 3CX Services.

NickD_3CX said:
All you should have to do for the system to 're-parse' the templates is to restart the 3CX Services.

It doesn't appear that I can restart the services from the V15 management GUI. I guess I would need to do this in Windows Services? Doing that or rebooting the server seems to be the only way I can accomplish a reload of the custom template.

gtinet said:
Now that I think I have customization figured out, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it's possible to force inband DTMF on SNOM 720 phone. What I read on 3cx.com says this is determined by the phone. When I search the SNOM wiki, it says that DTMF type is negotiated and determined by the PBX at call setup time.

Thanks!

Had to remove 'telephone-event' from the codec priority list on the phone. It's found in Setup > Identity > RTP > Codec.
Default is: g722,pcmu,pcma,gsm,g726-32,aal2-g726-32,amr-0,amrwb-0,g729,telephone-event
Change it to: g722,pcmu,pcma,gsm,g726-32,aal2-g726-32,amr-0,amrwb-0,g729

I made the change permanent by modifying my custom template.
Default is: <codec_priority_list idx="1" perm="">%%codec1%%,%%codec2%%,%%codec3%%,%%codec4%%,telephone-event</codec_priority_list>
Change it to: <codec_priority_list idx="1" perm="">%%codec1%%,%%codec2%%,%%codec3%%,%%codec4%%</codec_priority_list>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boykins_54
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.