3cx + Patton 4114 Gateway + Telstra - 2nd in call engaged

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mon, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mon

mon

Hey Guys

I have a weird issue with my 3cx setup and Telstra.
    Previously I had iinet PSTN phone lines and everything was fine!
    I recently switched to Telstra as they offered me a better deal. :-/ hopefully this was not a rash decision!
    However, since doing so I can't receive more than one incoming call on the main phone number.
    When the first call comes in that's ok, whilst that call is in progress all other calls to the main phone number are engaged. Though it used to work when the lines were with iinet.
    I have tried setting the second call to go to message bank or even another line but no success. I have also tried making groups to organise the routes.

My setup is:
    - 3cx 10 with Service Pack 5
    - Patton 4114 Gateway (supports 4x PSTN lines)
    - 2x PSTN lines with Telstra (message bank and call waiting disabled)
    - 1x PSTN line with Optus (message bank and call waiting disabled)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Aaron

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Re: 3cx + Patton 4114 Gateway + Telstra - 2nd in call engage

Sounds like you need to have rollover established with the PSTN lines. This is done by the carrier (Telstra) so that in the event that the primary line is busy, they will then take the call and "roll" it over to the next available line. You will need to decide just how many lines you want to have the capability.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The features have different names depending on the provider, or if it is a residential or business service.

The lines can be put into a "hunt group", which would make it easier to add a third line in the future. The other option is a sometimes called Call forward busy CFB, which would be added to the first line only. If you still wanted calls to eventually go to voicemail (message bank), when both lines were engaged, then that feature would only be added to the second line as a CFB and to line 1 as a Call Forward No Answer option. You may be able to save some money by dropping the message bank feature and just relying on the Voicemail feature in 3CX.

Of course, all of this depends on what they allow you to have, and the cost.

4. mon

mon

Hey guys thanks for the assistance. That points me in the right direction.
    I'll give Telstra a call on Monday when I'm back in the office and see what plan options I can change on my lines.

Kind Regards
    Aaron

5. mon

mon

Hey Guys

I checked with my engineers and they are saying we did not have line hunt or any services like this when 2x of the lines were with iinet and the other line was with Optus. And before we were able to receive voicemail and pickup the 2nd incoming call from another phone. But now the 2nd phone call is not even being received by 3CX.

Are you guys 100% sure we must have a line hunt service with Telstra to give us the ability to pickup the 2nd call on the main line or pass it to voicemail? Why did it work before with iinet without line hunt?

Kind Regards
    Aaron

6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

From what I saw in your original post, and assuming Telstra is like most other PSTN providers, I do not know how, if I were to dial your main number and stay on the line while another caller called in using the same number, that any system beyond Telstra would know what to do with the second call. Telstra would either provide a busy signal to the second caller (perhaps a call-waiting indication on the receiving side if available), or it would "roll over" (hunt) for an available line if that service is available and subscribed to. The bottom line is that the provider has to be able to receive and direct the calls to your 3CX system, but each call requires a line and only Telstra can distribute simultaneous or in progress calls to different lines. You might check your phone bills with the previous provider and see if you can discern what services may have been in-place earlier. The Optus part seems new, so if you had two providers then it also stands to reason that you likely had two published numbers. If this was the case, then you could have had two calls (one from each) occurring simultaneously without issue. However, once a consolidation took place, there became a need to add the call handling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.