Solved 3CX PBX Free Edition - Not so free

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by PhoneOnline, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoneOnline

Big advertisements for the 3CX PBX free edition, but after one year, maintenance costs will be requested.

I want to setup something for a home PBX with only 2-3 devices connected.

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You may request new PBX free edition license key and reinstall your PBX, if you don't want to buy maintenance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. easydone

Then do not call it a Free PBX, it's misleading.

4. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

That is not entirely accurate.

With each PBX Edition Key you get one year free maintenance. If maintenance expires, your PBX does not stop working, the only functional thing that will be affected is that the 3CX-allocated FQDN will not work anymore which would make remote extensions not to work. In the case of the OP, as its going to be a home PBX, so I assume the 2-3 devices will be local, it shouldn't cause any lack of functionality.

5. Soho3cx

Would you mind if I jump in here for a quick question? When you said remote extensions will not work anymore if maintenance expires, did you mean for STUN phones? Thanks.

6. Sopock

Sopock Member

Or any kind of phones since domain will no longer exist. I also wonder how will home user buy maintenance if company name is required field?
    With proper registration details you will get one year free maintenance as well as access to the end user portal. Check that your Company, Contact Name, E-mail, Telephone, Country and optional Reseller Name are correct.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

@Sopock

Just put your name in the company name field. Not that difficult.

8. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

So remote means remote. If you look at the options under Provisioning method I think you'll be able to figure it out.

Technically you don't lose the ability to have remote phones, you lose the ability to have remote phones that can find the PBX via the 3CX provided domain name which stops working. The rest is up to the reader to decide what that means and how it applies to your environment

#8 cobaltit, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    NickD_3CX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.