3CX Phone and Asterisk

Discussion in 'Windows' started by freestart, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freestart

Hi,

I recently installed the 3CX softphone as we were having problems with X-Lite today. The agents we have actually prefer it to X-Lite. It works great with the one acception that it seems to keep ringing even on calls with invalid numbers. I can see in the logs the playback of the 'all circuits are busy' recording but 3CX just keeps ringing indefinitely. I have played about with the supress early media with no effect.

Thanks,

Mark

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There is an option to "suppress early audio", I think that's how it's phrased. This seems to stop the ringback tone that by default, begins after you've dialled a number.

3. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Mark

- When you call an invalid number, the display shows "ringing"?
    - If you click the hang-up (cancel call) button, line become on-hook and ringing sound stops?
    - Which 3CXPhone version do you have? I'm asking because on recent versions you can enable phone's SIP logging. Therefore, we can check if phone receive the 404 (not found) signal. To do this
    - exit the phone.
    - with a text editor, open "C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone\3CXVoipPhone.ini"
    - under [General] section, search for SipTraceLog parameter and set it to 1
    - save the file
    - start the phone and call an invalid number and let it ring for a while.
    - drop the call and exit the phone.
    - send the "C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone\Logs\PhoneSIP.log" to me by PM.

Regards
    vali

P.S Usually, 3CXphone requires SIP logging only for debugging purposes, so my advice is to set SipTraceLog back to 0 after this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. freestart

Hi Vali,

Thanks for the quick and detailed response (a lot better than I got from Counterpath yesterday).

- When you call an invalid number, the display shows "ringing"?
    As soon as dial button pressed it starts playing ringing tones (before PRI even established). This is true for both valid and invalid numbers. I have tried supress early media on and off no difference to that.

Valid number connects. Invalid number continues to ring even though a call trace on the extension in Asterisk shows it playing message 'All Circuits Are Busy' (standard invalid number message)...

- Which 3CXPhone
    Latest one downloaded yesterday.

- Enabled SIPTraceLog but doesn't seem to generate anything in the log folder. Might be because I am using Server 2008R2 (essentially Windows7). I changed the configuration in the following path as correct for this version of windows;

C:\Users\mark.gerrard\AppData\Local\3CX VoIP Phone

I can see the log folder but nothing generated in it on valid or invalid call. I have run 3CX as Administrator in case of permission issues...

Mark

5. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Mark

First of all, it's a very simple way to see if the ringing sound you hear is the one provided by 3CXPhone or is the "early media" provided by PBX:

- having 3CXPhone in "on-hook" state (or not running), go to the C:\Program Files\3CXPhone\Sounds and rename Alerting.wav as, let's say _Alerting.wav, then make the call. If you will not hear any ringing sound, that means the sound is this one; if you will still hear the sound, it means is the "early-media" one. I suspect it's 3CXphone's sound, however. If is early media-sound, then we will have to check why its changing has no effect. (Don't forget to rename the _Alerting.wav back)

Now, about missing sip logfile, it's weird - I don't think is related to OS or privileges, otherwise no other files - configuration, call history, phonebook - would be saved :roll: I will have to check this. The only requirement is 3CXPhone application to be restarted to read that parameter. However, meantime, if you're familiar with the Wireshark, a capture of such call will be very useful, so if you can provide one, please send it to my be PM.

Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. freestart

Hi Vali,

Thanks for your response. Sorry it has taken me a while to reply. I haven't had chance to do the Wireshark yet but it seems to have semi-resolved itself now which is weird. It was 3CX ringing as I tested by renaming the file like you suggested. It is playing invalid number / busy tones now but once the 3CX file renamed it has the ringing sound playing at the same time as the invalid number message from Asterisk. Do you know how I could fix this?

Thanks,

Mark

7. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Mark
    By luck, this behavior happened to me also on a "ordinary" testing XP machine. After digging for reason, I found something unexpected (for me):
    - I was logged in as user Vali; therefore I expected that everything related to the 3CXPhone to be located in
    C:\Documents and Settings\Vali\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone\
    Surprisingly, this doesn't happened. Instead, everything were in
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone\
    Including configuration file and logs.
    The reason of this behavior: account Vali has been created as an alias of Administrator, not as an account having administrative rights.
    Hope I explained OK.
    So, please check if your case is not about something like this.
    Regards
    vali

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.