3CX Phone for iPhone on WiFi

Discussion in 'iOS' started by dennisfcarr, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennisfcarr

I have an iPhone 4S and loaded the 3CX Phone for iPhone app that I want to use over my WiFi networks.
    The iPhone app was updated last week.
    It seems to work well at home where I connect to an old Dynalink RTA1025W ADSL Wireless Router.
    On the road I create my own wireless hot spot with a Netcomm 3G/4G Wireless N150 Router (3GM2WN) with a Sierra NextG USB Modem. Ultimately I'd like to use a mobile WiFi 4G device.
    On the road I can't hear the other party but they can hear me.
    Do you have any suggestions?

2. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

you can run here in several issues.
    1. your telco does not provide you with sufficient SIP Support on the Telco network (asynchronous data stream is one)
    2. The WiFi router has issues with the SIP NAT (SIP ALG Option), ensure you have a NAT for the SIP and RTP Ports from the WiFi Router to the phone with the matching ports. Then trace on the 3CXPhone System server if the ports arrive on the PBX 100% the same as defines in the settings...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dennisfcarr

Stefan, your reply was very technical and too advanced for me so I did some more of my own experiments.
    I installed the Skype iPhone app and tried using it with my wireless hotspot. It performed perfectly on the 4 calls I made throughout the corse of the day.
    How do the SIP NAT (SIP ALG Option) and RTP Ports act differently between 3CXPhone and Skype? :?: :(

4. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Skype is not not SIP, this says it all
    it is a different protocol and nothing to do with what we use to call VoIP

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. antler

Hallo Stefan,

Now I am curious, what protocol does Skype use [ I have never been interested in Skype so have never read anything about their service but I just assumed they were a VoIP provider] but your statement that they are not SIP has got me rather inquisitive,

Thanks in advance,

Antler.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Shhh...it's a secret, sort of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype_protocol

7. antler

Hallo Leejor,

Should have searched for it really! but thank you anyway, interesting reading.

Antler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.