• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX Phone for Windows can't connect to Web API

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmacleod

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a client that is having issues with a couple of their machines running 3CX Phone against a v12 server. Server has been patched to SP4 BTW.

Sometimes, on two of their machines the 3CX Phone app will throw an error

"3CX Phone for Windows could not establish a connection to the 3CX Phone System Web API. As a result, features like Contacts and presence information will not be available. You can still make and receive Phone Calls via SIP whilst we try and re-establish full functionality in the background."

Anyone come across this ? It's intermittent, but appears to be getting more regular. Sometimes reloading the program helps, sometimes a reboot helps, sometimes the phone allows you to make and receive calls like the error says, sometimes it doesn't. Very annoying, and not something I've come across at other sites.

Cheers,
Paul.

Have you reinstalled the app in case of Bad install?
How about flushing the machine DNS. Are the two machines using same network settings as all others?

Reactions: fukunaga_ab
Looks like the server was the problem in the end. It had been used for lots of different things over a long period of time, with plenty of software installs and uninstalls. Moving 3CX to a fresher box seems to have done the trick.

Cheers,
Paul.

Hello everyone,
we have the same issue on all our 10 clients running 3CX Phone for Windows (9 with Windows 7 and 1 with Win 8.1, all with F-Secure Client Security 10.00 build 415 ).
Last week we upgraded 3CX from v11 to v12 (on a server running Windows 2008 R2); we uninstalled on all clients the old version of 3CX Phone e MyPhone and then we installed the latest version of 3CX Phone for Windows (12.0.355528.0).
Now, every time we reboot a pc or we close and then open 3CX Phone, it shows that issue so no Contacts, Chat, Presence information (..) are displayed.
For the moment the only workaround we discovered to have alle features functionality is restart all services through the 3CX management console (Services status -> Restart all); after that each client begins to function properly.
Unfortunately we can't move 3CX to other servers because of many configurations done on other network equipment.
Any advice?

Thank you in advance!

I've discovered there's something wrong related to the "MyPhone" app running under IIS (under Site "3CX Phone System Web Server").
For the moment, recycling the "3CXApplicationPool" pool 2 times a day seems to workaround the problem in our case.
I hope it helps someone.

We also have this error since last year. We already disabled the windows firewall and uninstall the anti-virus and still there is no status display on the 3cx soft phone and cannot established a connection on the web api. Thought you can still call and can be called, you cannot see the directory, you cannot us the chat feature and most of the feature is disabled.

But on my other test physical machine(windows 7 32 bit), have the version 12 of the 3cx phone system with a 3cx softphone v12 installed. This test machine has an Anti virus but the windows firewall is down, but there is a status display on the softphone. But on most of my test physical machine, I'm having a problem and headache on the web api connection.

Hope 3CX can see what really the cause of this error. And what part of the connection hinders the 3cxsoft phone status display

Hi to all, I had a remote session with a 3CX support and manage to solve the mystery. Unfortunately I only have less than 5mins to be online, co'z our office and network will shutdown at exactly 6:00pm PHI Time and I dont have enough time publish the procedures. :D

Just to give you guys a suspence, I'll will post all the details tomorrow morning and this will be first on my to do list. Lol :mrgreen:

Cheers :)

khelpogi said:
Just to give you guys a suspence, I'll will post all the details tomorrow morning and this will be first on my to do list. Lol :mrgreen:

Unfortunately khelpogi isn't much of a keeper of promisses! :(
I guess so many people are awaiting his details....
I know I am!

Please, khelpogi, post the details of your solution...

Thanks.

Greetz
Hans

My biggest apologies for the late response, I was sent on a provincial field-work (South Luzon) and just got back in our office.

Kindly perform the ff.:
** Disable you Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and uninstall all AV. Both for the 3CX server and softpone
Note: Don't whitelist the 3cx on the AV. Just uninstall the AV.
** On the 3CX softphone, delete all the accounts listed or just un-check the account(local details) then close and shutdown the app on the windows toolbar
** On the 3CX Management Console, go to Phones and re-open your 3CX soft phone.
** Once the softphone is already running, right click the IP of the softphone and select assign to existing extension (or if no available local yet, add a local first).
** Check the softphone again and see if the you can see any status display and select 3CXphone from CTI.
** If this doesnt work, that I'm not sure why co'z it worked on my machines. Use a send welcome email.
Set-up the SMTP first and on the extension tab select an extension number and choose send welome email.

Hope this procedure will help you guys. If you have other questions, you can email me in my personal email add "[email protected]" so even if I'm out of the office I can send some help.

In my case, when I looked at 3CXPhone Clients in the Mgmt Console, there were perhaps 15 duplicates listed (of the 3CXPhone having the problem).

Here's what worked for me - first steps:
- on the PC where it was not connecting to the API, uninstalled the 3CXPhone application
- in the Mgmt Console on the 3CX server, opened the extension having the issue. Then, on the 3CXPhone tab:
. checked "Disallow use of 3CXPhone"
. UN-checked "Configure default phone to use in 3CXPhone for Windows
. UN-checked "Use 3CX Tunnel for remote connections (3CXPhone only)
. clicked OK to apply
- on the Services status menu item, click Restart All to restart all 3CX services

The multiple instances of 3CXPhone shown on the 3CXPhone Clients list disappeared. But there was still one instance of the problem 3CXPhone for Windows 12 remaining in the Phones list.

I took a break and did something else for a while (maybe 10 minutes?), then came back and looked at the Phones screen again. Now the problem listing was gone.

Final steps:
- in the Mgmt Console on the 3CX server, opened the extension having the issue. On the 3CXPhone tab:
. UN-checked "Disallow use of 3CXPhone"
. checked "Configure default phone to use in 3CXPhone for Windows"
. checked "Use 3CX Tunnel for remote connections (3CXPhone only)"
. OK to apply changes
- re-send an email welcome message for this extension (verify the email address first!):
. clicked Extensions at left
. clicked to select the "problem" extension
. on the menu ribbon at top of this screen, clicked "Send welcome email" (you may need to use the highly unobtrusive drop-down button at far right end of the ribbon to see this choice)
- on the PC that had not been able to connect to the API:
. open the invitation email
. re-download the 3CXPhone client .msi installer using the email link
. re-install 3CXPhone

I did not have to re-provision the 3CXPhone using the email attachment because at this point, the soft phone simply opened normally with the same account info as before - except that now the presence selector showed at top left and the other missing functions were all restored and working normally (Contacts, Call History, Voicemails, etc).

However, this wasn't the first thing I tried and these other changes may have made a difference. If the steps above don't work for you as laid out, then you might try making these AV- and firewall-related changes before starting out:
- the client PC was using AVG Cloud Care AV, so I set an Exception for realtime scanning for the 3CXPhone executable (to find this file location, right click a shortcut to 3CXPhone for Windows, then choose Properties, then Open File Location). I had not removed this rule when I started taking the steps above, but left it in place after the fix.
- I also started out by disabling the Windows Firewall on both client machine and 3CX server, but these did not seem to have an effect on their own. However, both firewalls were turned off when I took the steps above. After the API communication was re-established, I re-enabled Windows Firewall on both machines and the previously missing functions continue to work.

Hope this works for you, too!

Hi everyone,

Imho this problem has something to do with one or more Windows update(s) from the past 5 or 6 months.
Before everything worked fine! Then the HDD of my server crashed and I had to install 3CX again.
I did so after completely installing and fully upgrading Windows 7 Professional. I left any AV or IS uninstalled
for testing purposes. But already had the Apache 2.2.25 webserver installed, which normally co-exists with
3CX fine.

Some weird things happened then....!

In the requirements it is clearly stated that .NET 4 was neccessary, but upon installing it suddenly required
.NET 4.5. Even when using the SP4 of version 12. (Downloaded this install file in march 2014 and had
it available in a backup.) Then the API problem occured in a similar fashion as mentioned above.
The rest of the system seemed to work well.

I discored that 3CX is trying to look for information on the Apache Server. In my Apache errorlog are as many
entries of "File not found: /webserver/myphones" as the 3CX android 12/12.5 app tried to connect to the API.
It tries to connect every 10 seconds, so my errorlog grew exponentially. That's how I discovered it anyway!

Anyone come across this error?

I'm not through testing yet! I'm going to try to install 3CX an a freshly installed Windows 7 Pro without the
updates and Apache. I'll try to post my findings a.s.a.p.

Greetz.

Hans

hi friends,

i have same problem about presence of contacts and, one hour ago I try to change webserver http port from 5000 to 80 in C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Bin\Webserver\abyss.conf line 287. after that restart 3cx services. And 3cx android softphone v12, 3cx windows softphone v12 and 12.5 show presence of contacts working fine.

Hope this works for you, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.