Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

3CX, phone line, VoIP & GrandStream 488

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by stekicar, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stekicar

I am using VoIPCheap.com for VoIP calling since 2005. I have connected mini-call usb box to the PC, attached regular phone to the box, phone line and I am able to use either VoIP or regular phone line. I am using VoIPBusterMate sofware to control mini-call usb box. So, when I pick up the phone by pressing "*" I am choosing between phone line or VoIP. Also, box receives outside calls and VoIP calls and I can get CallerID from VoIP calls on my phone. And I am very satsfied with it. Works without problems.
    Now, I tested 3CX free and discovered that I can use VoIPCheap with it and make several VoIP calls at once through it. Currently, with VoIPCheap software I can make one VoIP call at a time. So I get quite interested in this and here are my questions:
    1. Can I somehow use existing mini-call box with 3CX system? I just want to be able to receive calls from phone line (I do not use phone line for outside calls at all). I know that I would have to use something like VoIPBusterMate software but for 3CX. Is there anything like that?
    2. This question is if answer on first question is NO. I looked at GrandStream 488 and I was wondering if I can use this instead of mini-box. I read manual for this item and understood that in case of power failure it would be possible to use land line through it. Also, I understood that I can make calls from 3CX system to phone line and do all kinds of call transfer VoIP to land line and vice versa. Am I right about all this?
    The good thing with 3CX is that I can pick up calls (VoIP only for now) on my laptop regardless where calls are coming from, land line or internet.

2. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

I cannot answer the first question, but I can tell you that you're right about 2nd question. The GrandStream HT-488 would work nice for you, in fact, it's exactly the setup I'm going to do. I'm waiting until my GrandSteam HT-488 is shipped to me, I'll configure it for PSTN (there's a guide from 3CX for that, so it's perfect) and then after I will be thinking about getting a VoIP provider.

Keep in mind that the GrandStream HT-488 is for a single line (from what I think, it's exactly what you have).

3. Philco

Philco Member

The 488 works well for me in an office test set up just like. Just ensure that the PSTN line drops the call when the call is finished, usualy cured by reversing the connections to the PSTN line into the 488, this was the only problem I've occasionally had with 488 units (when installed on their own to a voip provider), but it is NOT a 3cx problem.

Phil

4. stekicar

Thank you guys for fast replies.
    First, just for reference on my 1st question. I sent an e-mail to Yealink (http://www.yealink.com) with question regarding "Mate" software for 3CX since they have NortelMate that works with Nortel's SoftPhone application and USB phone adaptor (http://www.yealink.com/en/view.asp?ClassLayer=17). Waiting for reply from them.
    I have only one analog phone line so 488 will suffice. When I connect 488 to the network, will 3CX be able to "see" PSTN line and use it to place calls through PSTN or this is a job for VoIP gateways? Thinking of using PSTN for 800 calls. So if I press 9 calls go through PSTN and if I press 0 calls go through VoIP.
    To Phil:
    I am planning to use 3CX software so do you think that call drop issue will be present? What did you mean by this: "... usually cured by reversing the connections to the PSTN line into the 488 ...". I am new in this.
    To Demonofsteel: keep us posted on your experince with 488 if you can.

5. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

Nice idea skekicar, 9 to call through PSTN and 0 through VoIP...

Yes, the HT-488 will be able to receive and place calls, you won't even need a gateway, you can read about it here on the configuration guide for HT-488 with 3CX (read step 29, it tells that you can place and receive calls).

3cx.com/voip-gateways/GrandStream-HandyTone488.html - this link is no longer available, visit here: https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/

I will let you know about my experience when I receive my HT-488, I'm still waiting for it to ship...

#5 demonofsteel, May 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2017
  6. Philco

Philco Member

Yes you can see the 488 PSTN line with 3cx, 3cx list it as a gateway for this purpose.

I had experience of the PSTN line being held open when a call had ended and both ends of the line had gone on hook. Reversing the two wires (literally) to the PSTN line input to the 488 cured the problem if it occoured. This may be because the 488 may not be happy with some PSTN line impedance, but the device works fine if you do see that problem and reverse the wires to cure it.

Phil

PS, yes 9 for PSTN and 0 for voip, but simply us the outgoing rules to determin local(short number length), pstn or select various voip lines for calls with # * or simple multiple numbers. Outbound rules make it easy to configure this. You may already understand this, but say 0 for voip provider 1 and you may wish international calls to go via another voip provider, so use 00 for provider 2. You then place the 00 rule above the 0 rule in the outbound rule list and it work fine.

7. stekicar

Thank you to both of you.
    I will go with 488 or maybe 503 since 488 is hard to find these days (503 is replacement for 488).

8. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

I got my brand new HT-488 off eBay this week (Monday April 28), I'm sure you can still find the HT-488 there now. The reason why I chose HT-488 over HT-503 is because there's a 3CX configuration guide for the HT-488 (there's none yet for the HT-503) and the HT-488 is a bit cheaper than the HT-503.

9. stekicar

I found it on ebay buy it is more expensive ($54+$8 shipping) than on neobits.com (http://www.neobits.com/grandstream_handytone_488_analog_telephone_adaptor_p9399.html) for $38+$12 shipping. Will go with 488.

10. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

I got the same unit you found on eBay, but I made a best offer of 45$, so that makes 45+10 for shipping (Since I'm from Canada, it cost more than shipping to the US).

I guess you won't have any problem with the HT-488 as it's already proven "compatible" to work with 3CX. I think it's a good choice over the HT-503 (well, for the moment...).

I wonder why GrandStream replaced the HT-488 for the HT-503 if they have the same specs...

11. Philco

Philco Member

I guess the 503 looks cool on a desk top compared to the 488 (though I dont think so) but the 503 has 10/100Mb ports where as the 488 is only 10Mb so maybe a new chipset etc.

Phil

12. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

I know the look changed, the 503 is made to look better like you said, but I tought it was the only thing. I didn't know the 503 had 10/100 ports, if so, it's a bit better then...

13. Halea

Halea New Member

Hello All:
    Sorry to barge into your exchange, but for those of you who are not experienced with HT488, I recommend that you read all the messages in this forum and then make up your mind. My personal experience (I dare qualifying it "extensive") led me eventually to replace my two units with SPA-3102.
    Good luck,
    Halea

14. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

The Linksys SPA-3102 was in fact my second choice... Anyway, I know myself, I like trying new routers all the time, so I guess I'll probably do the same with gateways (even if I find that the HT-488 is perfect for my needs).

The only reason why I didn't chose Linksys over GrandStream is that I don't like Linksys products that much.

15. stekicar

I ordered 488 this Sunday, so I expect to have it by Friday. I knew that 503 has 10/100 port but I do not care that much since I won't have "big" traffic through it. So 100 over 10 mbps has no benefit for me. I just wanted to have back-up in case something goes wrong with 3CX or I am away from phone so I can pick up a call on laptop.
    I like Linksys in general but 3102 costs almost a double so that is the reason why I choose 488.
    Anyway, I will keep posted my experience with 488 here, in case some newbie comes ...

16. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

I got mine yesterday and I started the config today. At first, everything was fine, I looked at all the menus in HTTP management then I did a reboot without even changing a single value and now I can no longer access the device by any mean (HTTP or using IVR)... I'm curently looking for a way to do a reset of the device with the seller's assistance and GrandStream manuals.

By the way, the reason why I can't contact the device using IVR is that I get the tone for about 1 second or less, so I don't have the time to contact the IVR (using "***").

I'll give news later about this.

Hope you won't have the same problems stekicar...

17. Philco

Philco Member

Hi Sacha, you normally still enter the IVR access even though you dont hear the dial tone. You dont hear a dial tone if the device has not registered but you can usually still enter the *** command.

I've configured about 30 of these (not on 3cx though) and not had one lock up.

One thing to note the device may have been trying to log into Grandstream and update ( you may have noticed they are configured to do this )and if you have interupted this update, the device could now be corrupt.

I dont know of any other way of factory resetting other than the ***99 command followed by the decoded mac address.

Phil

18. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

The IVR is not even working. I've read something talking about GrandStream automatic updates, just like you said, and I think it's what happenned, because the symptoms that are described are the same that I have (red light is flashing on a non regular basis and I keep hearing the device doing "click")...

I wish I knew about this earlier, I would have waited longer (I waited about 10~15 minutes) before restarting the HT-488...

Anyway, this is an advice for those who are going to configure the HT-488 in the future.

19. Philco

Philco Member

Yes it can take a while to remotely to update depending on the path speed. Personally I've usually done my own update via TFTP as its quicker and I'm in control of the update.

Hope your supplier can get another to you quickly..

Phil

20. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

Upgrade via TFTP is what I'll do straight as soon as I'll get a new device... I don't want another dead HT-488.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.