• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX Phone on Desktop for MULTIPLE users using SAME Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinetix

Titanium Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Would like to see the ability to have ANY/ALL users logging into a SINGLE Desktop to have the 3CX Phone Configured for the same extension....

Example - Desktop #123 - regardless of who logs in - receives a 3CXPhone Profile which has Ext#123

I feel this can be done via Group Policy and is more of a Windows issue, not a 3CX one.

(Asking everyone) Does 3CX phone have a directory it looks to for a provisioning file on startup? If so, you could just push that file to all users via Group Policy in Windows so that even new users to that machine would automatically have the same extension.

(I imagine you want this because the station needs to stay the same, part time workers, interns, call centers, etc, makes total sense)

This would be tremendously helpful for us.I think this would be fairly simple from a coding perspective. Plenty of applications allow the configuration to be for each user or all users. It just depends on where the config file gets saved, in the program directory or user profile.

I haven't seen anywhere that I can use group policy to accomplish this.

Mike

We've done something very similar to this with Group Policy.

We have written a script which is a logon script which basically does the following:

- user logs in and starts script silently in the backgroun
- script pauses for 20 seconds to ensure network is properly up
- script checks the name of the computer
- script puts the computer name as a variable
- script then looks in \\DomainController\netlogon\ for a file called "cmoputername.cfg" and runs it
- 3cx phone is then registered with this

This more or less means that it doesnt matter what user logs in, they always get the 3cx config of the phone they are setting next to - although the script could be modified to do what you are trying to do....?

If its helpful, I could dig out the script....?
Ray

In fact, this is the script.
Will need some modification to work in your environment and will need a logon GPO to run the script:

# Runs and IF command to find the computer name and then goto sun routine called "pc name"
if /i "%COMPUTERNAME%" == "ADMIN-PC" goto :ADMIN-PC

# This line calls "failed" if no matching computer nane can be found (this needs to be after all the IF statements)
goto :failed

# Subroutine for ADMIN-PC. This runs and then jumps to :end
:ADMIN-PC
start "" "\\Server\Share\3CX Phone Config Files\Extension_100.3cxconfig"
# Below line can be un-commented if you want a popup to say the config has applied - can be helpful for troubleshooting
rem mshta "javascript:alert('3CX Phone Configuration Applied');close()"
goto :end

# Failed routine to alert the script has not run. Needs uncommenting if you want to see this.
:failed
rem mshta "javascript:alert('3CX Phone Configuration Failed');close()"

# End routine - this ends the script.
REM This and the below line need to be at the end of the file.
:end

THANKS for sharing! :)

This is indeed possible Group Policies.
For the record, the config file for the 3CXPhone for Windows is located in %AppData%\3CXPhone for Windows\ .

Given the above, moving this topic back to "3CXPhone for Windows" for further discussion.

Excellent Ray! Thank you for posting the script.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.