3CX Phone v12 Updater

Discussion in 'Windows' started by wyztech, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wyztech

I'm currently deploying the new 3CX Phone 12 to about 70 end user workstations via Configuration manager. Installation goes just fine, but after installation users are told there's an update available. If they accept the update, they're prompted for elevated privileges which they do not have.

I've searched high and low to find the most up to date MSI and it still seems to be behind.

Is there an updated MSI?
    Is it possible to turn off the update notifications since my users will never be able to update on their own?

2. kazan

Hi

that is exactly what I would like to know. We are deploying 3CX Phone 12 via GPO and are wondering what will happen if there will be an update from 3cx server. From manual you can read:
    "The first time installation requires administrative rights. As long as the default installation path has
    been chosen the provisioning of the 3CXPhone and future updates do not require administrative
    rights.
    You can deploy the setup file via active directory automatically as it is an MSI file. You must
    also deploy the “Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86” msi package on x86 and x64 clients in order to
    successfully deploy 3CXPhone for Windows. Once installed and provisioned, 3CXPhone gets
    updated automatically with the service packs of the 3CX Phone System. For more information see
    the “Updating 3CXPhone” section of this document.
    "

Looks like it's not true or am I missing something?

Regards.

3. wyztech

The problem is that non-admin users only have Read/Execute and Write to %ProgramData%.

Since the updater is, obviously, modifying/deleting files, the users also would need Modify and or Delete. This violates the constraints of UAC, so there would be no way for an auto-updater to work from %ProgramData% without elevating permissions.

I'm experimenting with just having the installer install to the users profile, but it's by no means an elegant solution and I'd really prefer to avoid it if at all possible.

4. kazan

I understand all of this but just wonder what exactly they have been thinking writing this in manual:
    "The first time installation requires administrative rights. As long as the default installation path has
    been chosen the provisioning of the 3CXPhone and future updates do not require administrative
    rights."
    There is no way I will be playing with some installation to user profile or something non standard. We publish 3cxPhone to users via GPO and they are able to install it from "Install a program from Network" in Control Panel. How we will deal with updates? I can see only two ways:
    1) Publishing update to users and inform them about update so they could install it
    2) Creating GPO and assigning 3cx Phone update to computers + creating a rule in the same GPO which will install update only on PCs with 3cx Phone already installed.
    At the moment I can't see any other automatic way of doing this.

Regards.

5. wyztech

Sorry, I was just putting that out there for anyone that was wondering and to point out that the documentation is inherently wrong because such a process cannot work.

I'd be fine pushing out updates to my users, but I can't find an actual updated MSI. The MSI on the website requires an update, but the update is simply a zip file that seems to be extracted then copied over top the existing directory. I'm not comfortable doing that because I don't know what else the updater is doing.

So as it stands right now, I just have to tell my users not to click the update or run around to 50-60 machines to update them by hand.

This is definitely a problem and I'd be interested in a dev weighing in.

6. kazan

That is strange. We are on "3CX Phone System Version 12 Service Pack 4 - v.34902.600" and using latest msi for 3cx Windows Phone from website and we don't get any prompts for update. 3cx Windows Phone installed on PCs is version 12.0.34902.600.
    There is one update of this http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/3cx-webmeeting-alpha2/ but currently we are not interested.

Regards.

7. wyztech

We're on 34902.600 for the actual system as well. However, the 3CX Phone wants an update to 12.5.35316.0. We have a "Pro" license, so maybe there's a discrepancy there?

The only outstanding update I have is the webmeeting alpha2 as well.

The MSI on the website is for 12.34902.600 so once I install it and provision an account, I get a notice about an update then trying to apply the update brings up a UAC prompt.

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Program Data is a common location and does not require special elevation.
    HOwever in your cases it seems to ask.
    You can use GPO and update the clients via the MSI
    We have tested and if you leave everything default as microsoft ships - together with active directory settings and everything standard, users do not require elevation to write into Program Data (%allusersprofile%)
    This is happening because you have special hardening features to add security. In this case you need to use the GPO Mechanism.

Does this happen with every service pack we release? Maybe we can make a 3CX Webmeeting session - invite me to a meeting and I will log in and check your system for you.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.