3CX Phone (version 6) - can't answer call

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ntmaven247, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntmaven247

Hi all:

I've got the 3CX Phone (version 6) installed on my laptop since we use it with our FreePBX system, and I have a weird issue. When a call comes in and I click the green phone handle icon to answer the call, it immediately places the call on hold and will just ring until I manually kill the application via task manager. Any idea why this might be happening? I've done a complete uninstall (including deleting temp files, removing old configuration data) and reinstall and yet it keeps happening.

I'm really sorry if this has been answered already or if I placed this topic in the wrong forum, and I thank you in advance for any help received :) Cheers!!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You're dealing with an older version of the 3CX Phone in conjunction with another PBX, so there could be a number of reason you are having problems.

Did the work previously? Have you tried using this on another computer?

I would suspect that it may be something installed. or running, on that particular laptop, but, it could also be something to do with the settings in the PBX you are using.

Install the phone on another computer, same settings, see if that works. Try registering your computer to a different VoIP server/provider. Does that work?

Process of elimination....

3. ntmaven247

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :)

This client did use to work on my laptop, but hadn't used it in a long time so no idea when it stopped. My boss uses the same client on his Win 8.1 laptop for our pbx system and it works great, plus I use the same client on my home machine and it works there too. The main difference right now is that I'm in the Dominican Republic for 3 more weeks and the internet service here has been an issue which prompted me to fire up this client in case my main phone doesn't ring.

I'll try registering it on my client's system and see if it works then. Let me know if you have any other thoughts on the issue, and if not, thanks for your help thus far :)

Cheers!

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Was this ever tested, on your laptop before you went to the Dominican Republic ?

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the network you are currently using. Testing it on another computer there would obviously confirm that.

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I have done some work down in the DR - and there is all sorts of double natting in the hotels... I found the WiFi to be very temperamental.
    In my 3 offices down there (within the hotels) I had to use the 3cx tunnel to get 1 phone registered... but I never tried the softphone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ntmaven247

@leejor - I have to admit i didn't test it before travelling, it was on my to do list but forgot to get it done :(

@craigreilly - i also hit that same double natting issue along with crappy wifi in a lot of places. thankfully i paid for my own cable connection in the place I'm staying now, and that works pretty well.

In the end , I have a physical handset which seems to work perfectly, it's just nice having a backup system in case something fails.

I truly appreciate all the help guys!

Cheers!

7. nexus5

i am using software version of 3cx and i am able to connect it with my mobile while i use it in my desktop but i am having problems when i make my laptop as the 3cx server.The settings in both laptop and desktop are same yet i am having issues. Do i have to have a licence to use the tunneling services???Please help.....Thanks already.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

nexus5 , you really should have begun your own post rather than "hitching" onto one that may be totally unrelated to your issue.

You don't say which version of the 3CX PBX you are using, or, if you have applied the DEMO key. that could make a difference with more recent versions.

You say that one computer works, but the other doesn't, with the same settings. I would begin by having a look at the 3CX server logs, and compare a registration attempt from both computers. that may give a clue as to why one is not successful. There is also a Debug log within the application.

Are you able to connect when on the same LAN with the laptop? I assume that the desktop is on the same LAN and the laptop is normally used remotely. You may also want to run the 3CX firewall Checker, if you have not done so already. Do you use any other remote devices, that do work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.