3cx qos for dd-wrt

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by thedug, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedug

I'm using dd-wrt and 3cx. Our calls have been choppy and I'm considering enabling qos to give priority to 3cx but I'm not sure how to do this.

Does anybody know dd-wrt well enough to point me in the right direction?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

QOS really depends on whether something else on your network is "hogging" the bandwidth, then QOS can help, or, if it is a provider issue. You can insert QOS identifiers all you want but if the ISP doesn't respect them then your voice packets won't get priority on their network. Some companies that supply both the ATA box and own the network can guarantee voice packet priority on their network and any network that they have an agreement with.

Here is a DD-WRT Wiki on setting up QOS..http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

3. thedug

Yeah.. I've checked out the doc earlier, I'm just not sure what the right "approach" is for bumping up the priority for 3CX.

I.E. I don't see 3CX in the app list, so I'm not sure how to distinguish the 3CX traffic.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I haven't set it up on my router, I'm running the last version. You can either set the priority by MAC address or, probably more useful in the case of a PBX, give priority to one of the four LAN ports. Plug a switch into that port and run the PC with 3Cx and all extensions on that switch. That also keeps all internal SIP traffic away from the rest of the network. Bear in mind, that QOS will only have a affect on uploaded packets, giving priority to those you are sending out to the WAN. It won't help if others on the network are downloading huge files.

5. thedug

What can be done to help with the downloads?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There really isn't anything you can do if all traffic (using the hardware you have) is on the same network, perhaps a managed switch. You would be trying to slow down a persons download speed so as to not use up all of your bandwidth. Tell the users that they are not to download any large files, of course, this relies on people complying.

How about a second access point off the same router running through an old (slow) hub, disable or change (and hide) the SSID / security settings ,on the original router and move the original wireless settings over to the new access point.

7. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

You should be able to do all you need with your dd-wrt. I run dd-wrt on my router at home with a QOS entry for my 3CX.

You just need to use the MAC address of your 3CX Server and that's all, you don't need to work with protocols or anything else. Here's what you need to do...

1) Go to the QOS settings in the dd-wrt interface.
    2) enable the "start QOS" setting.
    3) the Packet Scheduler should be HTB
    4) Set the uplink to 80%-95% (max) of your total upload limit.
    5) Set the downlink to 80%-100% (max) of your total download limit.
    6) Don't check "optimize for gaming"
    7) Don't put anything in the "services priority".
    8) Don't put anything in the "netmask priority".
    9) Add the MAC address of you 3CX server in the "MAC priority".
    10) Choose what priority you want to give it. I usually chose Premium or Standard. Take the setting that suits you best.
    11) Apply the settings and try!

You could also put some other services to a lower priority to improve the bandwidth as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.