3CX receiving text to DID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by engin411, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engin411

engin411 New Member

Hello,
    We have 3CX business edition with one main, published DID. We'd like to allow our wholesale customers to text their order to us, using our published DID for the sake of ease of use (only one number that they need to know for either a phone call or to send a text to). I.e. we'd say "you can call or text your order to <DID>".

First, can 3CX accept a text to a DID? I'm not sure where to start looking for this.
    Second, we'd like the text from the customer to come to us via email.

Thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I know that text messages can be sent to certain PSTN sets in places like the UK (and probably other European countries), and a text to speech "service" in some North American service areas, but, I've never seen the sort of function that you'd like to implement mentioned before, on the 3CX forum or site.

I can't say for certain that it won't work, but I wouldn't count on it.

I would think that the first step is to ask a DID provider, if they even offer that sort of service.

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I wonder if something like a google voice number would work then forward a call to the main did if it was a voice call....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Reading over again what you are trying to accomplish...

Port (move) your main number to a mobile provider with a generous plan that allows multiple active forwarded calls (that would be the tricky part). Call forward that number to your new "main" number, it could then receive text messages on a mobile.

....or maybe that's a bit much. The problem is getting a number that accepts (multiple, if you use more than one line) calls and text.

5. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

There are SMS enabled DIDs and typically your SIP trunk provider can turn incoming messages on those to e-mail for you. I don't believe that it's currently possible to send them to a 3CX server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. engin411

engin411 New Member

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, using the text to email service from the DID provider. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.