3cx SBC on linux

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by asmith3006, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asmith3006

Hello All,

Is it possible to run the SBC for Raspberry Pi in a VM with more power to allow it to support more than 5 users?

Also, is the 5 users limit a recommendation or a hard limit of the software?

I'm running 12.5.

Thanks.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've seen mention, in the forum of using more than 5 phones, but every situation is different. haven't heard of anyone installing the SBC on a more powerful Linux machine, but you could try and report back. Off-hand i can't think of a technical reason why it wouldn't work on the same Linux version running on something else. The reason to use the raspberry Pi is low power usage, low overall cost. if you are going to use a lager machine, it might just as well be a PC running the windows SBC.

3. asmith3006

I wasn't sure if it'd install on an x86 processor, I thought the raspberry pi was something else?
    That's all true, but if I have a server running HyperV already I can spare a couple of Gig for a linux VM with no cost, adding an additional windows license to run an SBC has the cost of windows associated with it.

4. imerecom

We are looking at this also here is a link that might help though likely not supported by 3cx. Also note that some of the links are broken but searching for them as one of the comments suggest works. Once you create the image its easy to replicate:
    http://cubik-tech.blogspot.com/2013/02/raspberry-pi-emulation-on-windows.html.

5. asmith3006

Afraid the results are not good. I (obviously) can't install Raspbian onto HyperV (it's designed for ARM) and the 3CX SBC won't install in x86 Debian either.

This needs someone with much more Linux knowledge than I to explore if they feel up to the challenge!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.