• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3cx SBC on linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmith3006

Reaction score
Hello All,

Is it possible to run the SBC for Raspberry Pi in a VM with more power to allow it to support more than 5 users?

Also, is the 5 users limit a recommendation or a hard limit of the software?

I'm running 12.5.

Thanks.

I've seen mention, in the forum of using more than 5 phones, but every situation is different. haven't heard of anyone installing the SBC on a more powerful Linux machine, but you could try and report back. Off-hand i can't think of a technical reason why it wouldn't work on the same Linux version running on something else. The reason to use the raspberry Pi is low power usage, low overall cost. if you are going to use a lager machine, it might just as well be a PC running the windows SBC.

leejor said:
I've seen mention, in the forum of using more than 5 phones, but every situation is different. haven't heard of anyone installing the SBC on a more powerful Linux machine, but you could try and report back. Off-hand i can't think of a technical reason why it wouldn't work on the same Linux version running on something else..
I wasn't sure if it'd install on an x86 processor, I thought the raspberry pi was something else?
leejor said:
The reason to use the raspberry Pi is low power usage, low overall cost. if you are going to use a lager machine, it might just as well be a PC running the windows SBC.
That's all true, but if I have a server running HyperV already I can spare a couple of Gig for a linux VM with no cost, adding an additional windows license to run an SBC has the cost of windows associated with it.

We are looking at this also here is a link that might help though likely not supported by 3cx. Also note that some of the links are broken but searching for them as one of the comments suggest works. Once you create the image its easy to replicate:
http://cubik-tech.blogspot.com/2013/02/raspberry-pi-emulation-on-windows.html.

Afraid the results are not good. I (obviously) can't install Raspbian onto HyperV (it's designed for ARM) and the 3CX SBC won't install in x86 Debian either.

This needs someone with much more Linux knowledge than I to explore if they feel up to the challenge!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sprice352
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.